New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

"Bounce" button in Mail 7.2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Barrygou

Barrygou is on a distinguished road

I know Apple removed the "Bounce" button in Mail many versions ago but I was using a 3rd party App. I just upgraded to Mavericks which is Mail 7.2 and that 3rd party app will not install. Does anyone know where there is a download for it?
QUOTE Thanks
LexS

LexS is an unknown at this point

Mail is not a 3rd party app. it is part of OSX.
You find it in the Applications folder.
If you accidently trashed it, you can get it back by downloading the Mavericks Combo update and running that: OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Update
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrygou View Post
I know Apple removed the "Bounce" button in Mail many versions ago but I was using a 3rd party App. I just upgraded to Mavericks which is Mail 7.2 and that 3rd party app will not install. Does anyone know where there is a download for it?
Are you asking for an updated download for the third-party app that you were using for bouncing email? We'd need the name of the app in order to assist.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Exactly what third party app were you using? If a Mail bundle, it might not have been updated yet, if it can be.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Barrygou

A "Bounce" button was once included in Mail in Snow Leopard and back. Apple removed it when they released Lion. There is a 3rd party Script that restores it. I was using it in Lion and Mountain Lion. I just tried to install it in Mavericks but it will not install.

Restore Bounce Mail Button To Lions Mail for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
QUOTE Thanks
Barrygou

And if you've been using Mac Mail for some time you will remember this as an icon with a blue "check mark / arrow" that you could add to the Toolbar and with one click on this button it would "bounce" the junk email back to the sender so it appeared to be a bad email address. After time, it would help to reduce junk mail. The sender's "robot" would think it sent to a bad email address and remove your address off their blasts lists.

Maybe there is an Automator script that would do this?
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrygou View Post
A "Bounce" button was once included in Mail in Snow Leopard and back. Apple removed it when they released Lion. There is a 3rd party Script that restores it. I was using it in Lion and Mountain Lion. I just tried to install it in Mavericks but it will not install.

Restore Bounce Mail Button To Lions Mail for Mac - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

We understand what the Bounce function was. What we were asking was the name of the 3rd party script, which you provided in the link in your followup posting. The name of the 3rd party script is "Restore Bounce Mail Button To Lions Mail" which is hosted on cnet.com.

My advice would be for you to contact the script's developer, whose name and contact information is given in the post that you linked to: stefan.everhartz@cronomik.de

Failing that, I would suggest leaving a comment on the page that you linked to.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Don't know if you can put the button back but you should be able to use the script. Or, if you're able, turn it into an Automator Service you can use in Mail.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Apple removed it because "bounce" buttons or various bounce schemes just don't work or are not reliable. Spammers are clever enough to never allow "bounced" mail back to them or they would soon be out of business.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I use a script and I am pretty sure it still works in Mavericks mail. Will try it later and get back to you. If mine works I will post it for you.
QUOTE Thanks
Thumpernator

Thumpernator is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac Maverick 10.9.2 16 GB Memory

I thought the "Bounce" feature is now called "Redirect." If not, just what is "Redirect"?

Dave

Last edited by Thumpernator; 03-28-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling
QUOTE Thanks
Thumpernator

Thumpernator is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac Maverick 10.9.2 16 GB Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpernator View Post
I thought the "Bounce" feature is now called "Redirect." If not, just what is "Redirect"?
Nevermind. Learned what it really does and it isn't to Bounce.

Dave
QUOTE Thanks
Barrygou

Here is a link that explains the difference between Redirect and Reply:

http://blogmines.com/blog/2012/03/13...t-on-mac-mail/

And as far as "Bounce" not working - I don't know for sure but it seemed, that while I was using it I received less Spam
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
And as far as "Bounce" not working - I don't know for sure but it seemed, that while I was using it I received less Spam
It has never really worked which is why it was removed. I rely more on my ISP's filters which seem to keep Spam out of my mail. I use gmail and it's very effective at removing spam. So effective in fact, that I have to check once in awhile to make sure good mail isn't in the spam dump.
QUOTE Thanks
kori42

kori42 is on a distinguished road

Because my apple id is very old, and only 4 letters, I often people think it is theirs so they give it to their Doctors, their friends, their stores, their schools, etc.... It especially happens with children.

When I had 10.6 I could bounce the email and people would understand that the email address they have been given was wrong. In the absence of "Bounce", I have sometimes replied to tell them that they have the wrong email and the people say they are sorry and will get the correct address.

My solution has been to keep one computer on 10.6 just so I could keep the "Bounce" feature, so I don't have to tell possible spammers that my address is valid. I'm not talking about spammers as they are automatically moved to junk.

I'd like a script that would replicate the "Bounce" function of old.
Kori
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I need a IWorks Numbers GURU!! | Help with App store??? »