New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Drop Box vs iCloud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.9.3; iPad Mini iOS 7.1.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

I was recently asked to view some pix on Drop Box. Drop Box has now sent me a message suggesting that I am under using it. As an iCloud user why would I?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Pros and cons to both Alwyn. Both are paid services at some point but if you're a Mac user with several machines and devices then iCloud makes more sense.
Do you think the DropBox message is a phish to get you to pay for more space?

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

They are basically the same thing. I have accounts with Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive. I have different files/folders that synch using each service. They are free up to a certain amount of storage space size.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.9.3; iPad Mini iOS 7.1.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Pros and cons to both Alwyn. Both are paid services at some point but if you're a Mac user with several machines and devices then iCloud makes more sense.
Do you think the DropBox message is a phish to get you to pay for more space?
No I think it's just marketing and I've successfully unsubscribed to e-mails.
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
They are basically the same thing. I have accounts with Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive. I have different files/folders that synch using each service. They are free up to a certain amount of storage space size.
Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

I am a huge fan of Dropbox, if only for the fact that it makes working across platforms (Mac, iPhone, PC, Android) seamless, plus if you refer enough people it's far less expensive.

Through referrals, I'm up to 10 GB of free space on Dropbox vs the 5 GB Apple gives you with iCloud.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

One big difference between Dropbox, Box, Copy, and other cloud based storage services and things like Google Drive and iCloud is that the former are meant for storage of arbitrary files up whereas the latter is more focused on a specific use case.

If you look at iCloud, for example, you use it with various Apple products to share pictures, contacts, music and so on.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23 View Post
I am a huge fan of Dropbox, if only for the fact that it makes working across platforms (Mac, iPhone, PC, Android) seamless, plus if you refer enough people it's far less expensive.

Through referrals, I'm up to 10 GB of free space on Dropbox vs the 5 GB Apple gives you with iCloud.
I use Copy and Dropbox, and much prefer Copy -- for starters it gives you 15GB from the get go (20GB if you use my referral, below) for free. It doesn't have every bell and whistle Dropbox has, but I use it mostly to post large files to friends (like my podcast) and has a ton of space, ergo I like it very much for my uses.

https://copy.com?r=lQ6l1p
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

For me, DropBox is a basically folder system in Finder on my iMac that I can access from any computing device, and in which I can share sub folders with collaborators to work on files in the foreground. Very handy.

iCloud, on the other hand, is a mysterious server space where some of my apps keep themselves in sync across my Apple devices in the background.

So I need both. And increasingly I am being forced to use my Google account to collaborate with folks who use Google.

Strange new fragmenting world we live in.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demapples View Post
For me, DropBox is a basically folder system in Finder on my iMac that I can access from any computing device, and in which I can share sub folders with collaborators to work on files in the foreground. Very handy.

iCloud, on the other hand, is a mysterious server space where some of my apps keep themselves in sync across my Apple devices in the background.

So I need both. And increasingly I am being forced to use my Google account to collaborate with folks who use Google.

Agree 100%. The only thing I use iCloud for is syncing the most basic items such as keychain, bookmarks, etc.

If Apple would offer more storage at reasonable prices I'd be inclined to use it more.

I enjoy the integration Dropbox offers to apps like Desktoppr.co and automatic Photo Uploading when I connect my devices. My wife and I run the YNAB budgeting program and keep the data files on a shared Dropbox folder, so we both have access to the same info at all times.

I also use box.com for longer-term storage of things like photos and music: you get 50 GB for free just for signing up, and you don't have to sync locally if you don't want to.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
One big difference between Dropbox, Box, Copy, and other cloud based storage services and things like Google Drive and iCloud is that the former are meant for storage of arbitrary files up whereas the latter is more focused on a specific use case.

If you look at iCloud, for example, you use it with various Apple products to share pictures, contacts, music and so on.
This is an important distinction as iCloud is very different from Dropbox. In fact, other than being cloud based services (storage of content offsite), there are no similiarities whatsoever. Neither of them provides the services of the other and they support vastly different platforms (iCloud only supports Apple products and Windows whereas Dropbox supports Windows, OS X, Linux, Android and iOS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demapples View Post
It's frustrating that a collection of services that are supposed to minimize the problem of fragmentation ("the cloud" effectively making internet connected devices the same) can themselves be fragmented.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ad blockers | iTunes problems "An unknown error occurred (-45054)." »