New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

90 day iTunes device association rule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

I recently purchased an iPhone 4 second hand from a seller on eBay.
I sent her an article on how to prepare an iPhone for resale and she followed the instructions to the letter thanking me for the info.
I backed up my old iPhone 4 to iTunes then returned it to factory settings.
I then used iTunes to restore the new iPhone and gave it a new name. So my new iPhone was now a duplicate of my old one with all my apps and settings preserved. Smooth huh?
BUT, when I opened Music I discovered a list of artists and albums on iCloud that belonged to the previous owner.
Puzzled I had a look at My Devices in my iTunes account (I had already removed my old iPhone) sure enough my new iPhone was added but it stated that it could not be "Associated" with my account for 90 days.
I don't use iTunes match and most of my music is from CD's so not really a problem for me but I can see it could be a problem for others.
I have read a number of other forum threads on this subject and there are a lot of angry users out there, people with more than one Apple ID and especially multiple users on the same device.
My question is why is this rule applied and is there any way to get around it?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Why is this rule applied?

Because that way thieves can't quickly change your stolen phone to their own account. It's meant to be a deterrent (Apple has since come up with better ones as well)

Is there any way to get around it?

No. It is a pity that the seller either forgot to disassociate the device from her iTunes account (or perhaps your instructions didn't cover this?), but there's no way around it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

[database issue resulted in dupe]
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

@ Chas, can't he just do a recovery on the iPhone. I have had to do that with a few iPods I gave to my cousins. They keep putting pass codes in them and locking their own self out..

I been doing this by shutting down the iPod completely. Then pressing the home button and while holding the home button, plugging the cable into the device. This will initiate recovery mode. But you loose all data, music, files, etc.. On the iPod. Its starts fresh like you just purchased it. There is better instruction on Apples website. Though even following them it took me a few tries each time to get it to work.

Cheers,
Joe

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Why is this rule applied?

Because that way thieves can't quickly change your stolen phone to their own account. It's meant to be a deterrent (Apple has since come up with better ones as well)

Is there any way to get around it?

No. It is a pity that the seller either forgot to disassociate the device from her iTunes account (or perhaps your instructions didn't cover this?), but there's no way around it.
Dear Chas, perhapes you are a single male and do not, like many people, share your home computer with the family. If so you would have noticed this issue already. And in addition my instructions did include removing her device from iCloud services and in iTunes devices unfortunately this does not circumvent the 90 day rule. See this thread; https://discussions.apple.com/message/24785858#24785858
This is a ridiculous rule which has implications for a lot more than the resale of iPhones. You can remove a device from your apple accounts but it still takes 90 days before that device can be associated with a new apple ID although, and this is just weird, it is immediately visible in your 'Find My Device" on iCloud.
Apple in their attempt to improve security have created huge problems for iOS7 users and they need to be worked out.
Cheers, Rod

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
Dear Chas, perhapes you are a single male and do not, like many people, share your home computer with the family.
I'm a married male and think so highly of my own stuff that I don't share it, I buy her her own machine. By coincidence this is also Apple's preferred solution to the dilemma you're looking at.

(Sorry, not trying to make light of the issue, but seriously that is Apple's answer to the problem at this point -- buy each person their own machine rather than sharing)
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Chas, I figured it was a security issue and there are ways around it in relation to resale of iPhones but what about the case of the guy with two Apple ID's. I personally have two just due to being a long time user.
One thread I saw related to a guy who had a Apple ID for work and one for home. He made the mistake of logging into his work ID at home and downloaded some content. You can guess the consequences. I have spoken to Apple Support about this and they admit it is a problem. So even with your own device this rule can cause problems. I cant see why it cant be account specific rather than device specific.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I'm a married male and think so highly of my own stuff that I don't share it, I buy her her own machine. By coincidence this is also Apple's preferred solution to the dilemma you're looking at.

(Sorry, not trying to make light of the issue, but seriously that is Apple's answer to the problem at this point -- buy each person their own machine rather than sharing)
Many people share stuff - not just Apple stuff - it's the way people do things! Initially my wife and I shared the 'house' ipad. Then we bought an additional one and it took quite a time to separate individual apps etc. Now we have a third (a work one) and we've given up trying to get them all to sync with my iPad and her macbook. When we need to access an iPad we pick up the nearest, but this whole Apple ID thing just stinks and prevents us working as we want to work. Apple is supposed to make thing easy not put obstacles in our way at every turn. They really need to sort out these matters before the next generation of products.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Many people share stuff - not just Apple stuff - it's the way people do things! Initially my wife and I shared the 'house' ipad. Then we bought an additional one and it took quite a time to separate individual apps etc. Now we have a third (a work one) and we've given up trying to get them all to sync with my iPad and her macbook. When we need to access an iPad we pick up the nearest, but this whole Apple ID thing just stinks and prevents us working as we want to work. Apple is supposed to make thing easy not put obstacles in our way at every turn. They really need to sort out these matters before the next generation of products.
Go Sawday, I feel your pain. Apple openly admit this strategy of thiers is to prevent sharing (pirating) of iTunes purchases but it is so easy to get around either using Home Sharing or third party apps I don't know why they bother. Once a device, be it an iPad, laptop or desktop is Authorised to play iTunes content it shouldn't matter who logs in with which Apple ID. After all you can only Authorise a limited number of devices. This issue of the 90 day rule is about iCloud more than anything. I did ask Apple support what would happen if I downloaded all of the music from the previous iPhone owners iCloud account then used a third party app to record it. I asked, doesn't this defeat the whole point? The Apple rep didn't have an answer to that.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

What gets me, is what happens when you die ?? You have been a iTunes Account holder for 30-40 years with 10,000 songs, 100's movies and TV shows and 3000+ Apps. Where do they go when you die ??

There are the big stars like Bono and John Travolta, because they are rich have this amount already, and they want to pas it on to their children when the time comes, but they can't at the moment Thats the sad part, all those 10's of 000's of $ sent go down the drain, and basically become the proper of Apple again

This makes my blood boil :-<

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
What gets me, is what happens when you die ?? You have been a iTunes Account holder for 30-40 years with 10,000 songs, 100's movies and TV shows and 3000+ Apps. Where do they go when you die ??

There are the big stars like Bono and John Travolta, because they are rich have this amount already, and they want to pas it on to their children when the time comes, but they can't at the moment Thats the sad part, all those 10's of 000's of $ sent go down the drain, and basically become the proper of Apple again

This makes my blood boil :-<
Hiya Tattooed Mac, I have been interested in this topic for a while and wrote a thread about it but you are right. Digital property has been a bit of an issue for a while. I found this draft document at a legal site.
Digital Assets. My executor shall have the power to access, handle, distribute and dispose of my digital assets.

“Digital Assets.” “Digital assets” includes files stored on my digital devices, including but not limited to, desktops, laptops, tablets, peripherals, storage devices, mobile telephones, smartphones, and any similar digital device which currently exists or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops. The term “digital assets” also includes but is not limited to emails received, email accounts, digital music, digital photographs, digital videos, software licenses, social network accounts, file sharing accounts, financial accounts, domain registrations, DNS service accounts, web hosting accounts, tax preparation service accounts, online stores, affiliate programs, other online accounts and similar digital items which currently exist or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops, regardless of the ownership of the physical device upon which the digital item is stored.
Optionally you may want to specify another individual who is more technologically savvy to assist the executor in handling digital assets.
I authorize my executor to engage _____________ to assist in accessing, handling, distributing and disposing of my digital assets.
Finally it may be desirable to reference an external list of digital assets and relevant user names and passwords.
I have prepared a memorandum with instructions concerning my digital assets and their access, handling, distribution and disposition. I direct my executor and beneficiaries to follow my instructions concerning my digital assets.

Sorry for the "wall of text", so far as I know only Google has put in place an option for accounts that have not been activated for a set time, contacting nominated family members with an access code to allow them to download your content.
Cheers, Rod

QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

I think there will be a legal precedent established soon regarding the matter of digital property. There have been several instances already in the USA. The parents of a deceased military serviceman trying to access their son's Facebook account, parents of a young girl who suicided trying to access her social media to find out if she had been the victim of online bullying. The list goes on and it is obvious that some sort of mechanism needs to be put in place. Obviously a warrant can be issued to access this info where criminal action is suspected but that doesn't cover digital property.

QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
Hiya Tattooed Mac, I have been interested in this topic for a while and wrote a thread about it but you are right. Digital property has been a bit of an issue for a while. I found this draft document at a legal site.
Digital Assets. My executor shall have the power to access, handle, distribute and dispose of my digital assets.

Quote:
“Digital Assets.” “Digital assets” includes files stored on my digital devices, including but not limited to, desktops, laptops, tablets, peripherals, storage devices, mobile telephones, smartphones, and any similar digital device which currently exists or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops. The term “digital assets” also includes but is not limited to emails received, email accounts, digital music, digital photographs, digital videos, software licenses, social network accounts, file sharing accounts, financial accounts, domain registrations, DNS service accounts, web hosting accounts, tax preparation service accounts, online stores, affiliate programs, other online accounts and similar digital items which currently exist or may exist as technology develops or such comparable items as technology develops, regardless of the ownership of the physical device upon which the digital item is stored.
Optionally you may want to specify another individual who is more technologically savvy to assist the executor in handling digital assets.
I authorize my executor to engage _____________ to assist in accessing, handling, distributing and disposing of my digital assets.
Finally it may be desirable to reference an external list of digital assets and relevant user names and passwords.
I have prepared a memorandum with instructions concerning my digital assets and their access, handling, distribution and disposition. I direct my executor and beneficiaries to follow my instructions concerning my digital assets.
Sorry for the "wall of text", so far as I know only Google has put in place an option for accounts that have not been activated for a set time, contacting nominated family members with an access code to allow them to download your content.
Cheers, Rod

Not so much a wall now Just wrap it in [QUOTES][/QUOTES] next time FYI . . . .

Bit interesting piece of text. Im sure this is only in the US at the moment, but there will be a time where Apple will have to face up to the fact that this is going to happen. When my grandfather past, he handed down all his 35's and 44's to my Mother, and she is going to do the same to me. He bought them, but now my Mother owns them. The record companies don't care, so why NOW ?? It real is such a sour taste in my mouth, but thanks for that insight

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

Regarding what happens when you die...A recent case here in the UK focused exactly on that. A mother left her iPad to her son but not her passwords. Apple has told the family there is nothing they can do and that the iPad is now a flat paperweight and everything is lost. A court case would cost more than a new iPad and contents.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

The "solution" to this issue is fairly obvious: keep a record of your Apple ID password in a safe deposit box or somewhere else safe so your family can get it after you die. They can then continue using it for your digital files for as long as they wish/such a system is in operation.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Geeklet question | Can't save word files »