New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Backing up iPhoto library prior to new update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pinksandbaby

pinksandbaby is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I just updated my software on my iMac, and then upgraded my iPhoto. My photos are "unreadable" until I upgrade he program, but I'd like to backup to an external hard drive first.

My Geek Squad husband is at work, so if you could tell me how to access the library to back it up while it's in limbo, I'd appreciate it. Duplicate it? I'd love step-by-step so I can impress him when he gets home

Thanks so much. I've got thousands of pics on there and I'd be crushed if they were gone.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If all you want to do is make a backup of the photos contained in iPhoto, you can copy the iPhoto library to an external hard drive or to a flash drive if it's large enough.

Click on the Finder. Your iPhoto library containing all your photos is here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

And: Please do not post your question twice in different forums. That's known as cross posting.

I've removed your other post.
QUOTE Thanks
pinksandbaby

pinksandbaby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
If all you want to do is make a backup of the photos contained in iPhoto, you can copy the iPhoto library to an external hard drive or to a flash drive if it's large enough.

Click on the Finder. Your iPhoto library containing all your photos is here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

And: Please do not post your question twice in different forums. That's known as cross posting.

I've removed your other post.
Thanks sooooo much for removing my other post. I'm sure the OS X people would be cruising the newbie page and just plain outraged by my "cross posting" offense.

I got the system preferences open, but the external hard drive I have will not work unless I erase it's contents. That's dumb. My husband is bringing home a new one to use. Hopefully that will work being that I cannot open the iPhoto library.

And no, I still cannot open the iPhoto library in the finder.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When I double click on my iPhoto library while using the Finder, it opens iPhoto and displays my photos. Are you saying that you can not do that?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« System Preferences not operating | Outlook 2011 question »