New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Dropbox, Itunes, and bandwidth usage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rnadjafov

rnadjafov is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Yesterday I decided it was a good idea to put my iTunes folder into dropbox as well as my Iphoto library. Today I noticed that the Dropbox folder is still syncing (I do have enough space >100 G).

Now I am questioning my decision.... I have a some of questions.

1. If I am offline, will I be able to play music on my iTunes considering my entire folder is in the cloud?
2. I do have a relatively small bandwidth cap at home for my internet usage. Will having iTunes in the cloud and me playing media eat my bandwidth?
3. A little bit unrelated but I also created and alias for my documents folder and moved it into dropbox... is there any disadvantages in using an alias over symbolic links?

Thanks for the help... sorry if the first question is dumb :/
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnadjafov View Post
1. If I am offline, will I be able to play music on my iTunes considering my entire folder is in the cloud?
Yes, the files are still on your computer.
Quote:
2. I do have a relatively small bandwidth cap at home for my internet usage. Will having iTunes in the cloud and me playing media eat my bandwidth?
Only if changes are made to the files. The only time data is sent is if something changes.
Quote:
3. A little bit unrelated but I also created and alias for my documents folder and moved it into dropbox... is there any disadvantages in using an alias over symbolic links?
They are effectively the same thing.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
rnadjafov

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Yes, the files are still on your computer.
Only if changes are made to the files. The only time data is sent is if something changes.
They are effectively the same thing.
I guess I am still grey about how dropbox works. I thought that when I move a file to dropbox it transfers the whole file to the dropbox servers and effectively removes it from my computer. From there I just access it in the cloud.

Can you please explain how the files are still on the computer (and how I am able to view stuff offline) if I am putting them in the cloud?
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Quote:
I guess I am still grey about how dropbox works. I thought that when I move a file to dropbox it transfers the whole file to the dropbox servers and effectively removes it from my computer. From there I just access it in the cloud.

Can you please explain how the files are still on the computer (and how I am able to view stuff offline) if I am putting them in the cloud?
Hello - placing your files into Dropbox simply makes copies there that will sync w/ your other devices to share the files (your prolonged syncing may be related to the latter situation - don't know?).

Thus, in a way your iTunes files are being 'backed up' to the cloud but not removed from your computer. The other question you may want to answer is whether you need more room on your computer for non-musical items - if so, there are ways to move your 'iTunes library' to another site, such as an external HD. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Dropbox syncs your folders/files. You have a "Dropbox" folder on your machine, and that gets "copied" to the cloud. You can then "add" your account to any other pc, tablet, and/or smartphone and they will sync to that device as well. While you are offline, the files still reside on your computer and also on the "cloud", and any other device that has been synced to that account. If you change, move, or delete a file in your dropbox folder, the next time you are online and signed into dropbox, it will update any changes you made. This goes for any device you have synced with your Dropbox account.

I lost a few files the first time I used Dropbox, not understanding how it worked. I deleted them from one machine and when I went to my main machine, it wasn't there either. I am usually always connected to Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, and OneDrive, so I have to be aware when working in those folders.

iPod 5th gen 30gb, iPad 2 16gb WiFi iOS 7, iPhone 4s 16gb iOS 7.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

The Dropbox tour might be of help here in understanding what it does.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
rnadjafov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hello - placing your files into Dropbox simply makes copies there that will sync w/ your other devices to share the files (your prolonged syncing may be related to the latter situation - don't know?).

Thus, in a way your iTunes files are being 'backed up' to the cloud but not removed from your computer. The other question you may want to answer is whether you need more room on your computer for non-musical items - if so, there are ways to move your 'iTunes library' to another site, such as an external HD. Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
Dropbox syncs your folders/files. You have a "Dropbox" folder on your machine, and that gets "copied" to the cloud. You can then "add" your account to any other pc, tablet, and/or smartphone and they will sync to that device as well. While you are offline, the files still reside on your computer and also on the "cloud", and any other device that has been synced to that account. If you change, move, or delete a file in your dropbox folder, the next time you are online and signed into dropbox, it will update any changes you made. This goes for any device you have synced with your Dropbox account.

I lost a few files the first time I used Dropbox, not understanding how it worked. I deleted them from one machine and when I went to my main machine, it wasn't there either. I am usually always connected to Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, and OneDrive, so I have to be aware when working in those folders.
Thanks for the reply guys. So effectively what is happening is that there is a "Dropbox folder" that is saved in my finder... And every time I am connected to the web this folder syncs with the cloud?

What about mobile apps. I have my phone connected to my dropbox account. Surely there is no dropbox folder on my phone (not the app I mean saved to the hard drive).... with the App I take it you cannot view dropbox files offline? Any idea on how much data the app uses when accessing files from the cloud?

Quote:
The Dropbox tour might be of help here in understanding what it does.
Thank for the link the tour does not really explain if dropbox exists purely in the cloud or on your machine and in the cloud.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Simply put, on the computer you have a folder that is synced with the cloud. On your mobile device, you simply see what is available on your account and you download files as needed.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
rnadjafov

Quote:
Simply put, on the computer you have a folder that is synced with the cloud. On your mobile device, you simply see what is available on your account and you download files as needed.
Thanks,

Hopefully the mobile app doesn't eat away too much data.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

Quote:
Thank for the link the tour does not really explain if dropbox exists purely in the cloud or on your machine and in the cloud.
That's because dropbox doesn't really "exist" as much as it provides a service. The service is that any file dropped in the dropbox is replicated to all other linked dropboxes as quickly as possible. And any deletions are deleted from all DBs the same way. So be careful with your iTunes library in the dropbox folder as ANY change on ANY device that is linked to it will replicate to ALL devices. On the iPhone the Dropbox app merely lets you see what's at Dropbox.com in your account and download to the iPhone what you need. But you CAN delete from the iPhone, so the same caution applies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Annoyed "the application software update has suddenly quit" | Logic Pro 9 issues »