New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Google Chrome: Parallels Desktop was not found.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GreenYogi

GreenYogi is on a distinguished road

One day last week, I have no idea why, a popup started showing in Chrome that states:
"Parallels Desktop was not found.
Google Chrome requires Parallels Desktop to operate. Please install Parallels Desktop and try again."

I downgraded Chrome, did some cleaning with Onix. It didn't help.
I am using Maverick 10.9.2
The pop up will come randomly sometimes once every minute. Terrible headache.

So of course I used to have Parallels Desktop long ago, a trial version.
I have no intention to install it again, so what can I do to get rid of the popup?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be Parallels' "Open in Internet Explorer" extension. Do you have that installed?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
GreenYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The only thing I can think of that would cause this would be Parallels' "Open in Internet Explorer" extension. Do you have that installed?
Are U talking about a Chrome extension?

I don't have such extension installed, but I did install a few chrome extensions at about the same time that this popup started. So I am now becoming alarmed that one of them might be the trigger for the popup. I am gonna remove whatever is suspect.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Is it possible you have downloaded the Windows version of Chrome by accident? That would trigger exactly the error message you are getting.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Good catch chas. The message he received didn't make sense until you mentioned that.
QUOTE Thanks
GreenYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Is it possible you have downloaded the Windows version of Chrome by accident? That would trigger exactly the error message you are getting.
Ahem... that anyone even think that Mavericks OS would let me install a Windows version of Chrome without blocking it is giving me a weird feeling about this forum.

Anyway... of course NOT. I am running the original Chrome package that came with the Apple OS.
I have been using it for over a year, updating as it comes.
There is no way I could ever run a Windows based version of Chrome in OSX.
Again, I am not using Windows through Parallels here, but Mavericks and a Mac version of Chrome.

Dudes!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Oh, and Chrome doesn't come with Apple OS. Safari does, dude!

Chrome is a browser made by Google that you have to download separately. When you visit Google.com on any browser other than Chrome it will automatically show you the download link and it should get the version that's meant for OS X as opposed a Windows version..

What specific action caused the popup to appear? Confirm you don't have any extensions installed in Chrome.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

He (member chas_m) wasn't referring to installing a Windows version of Chrome in Mavericks, as we all know that wouldn't work. He was referring to having downloaded it previously while running Windows in Parallels since you did post this:

Quote:
So of course I used to have Parallels Desktop long ago, a trial version.
I have no intention to install it again, so what can I do to get rid of the popup?
QUOTE Thanks
GreenYogi

Haha! My bad. I am so used to chrome being here I forgot it was not part of the OS.

Anyways, I surely had chrome installed while using parallels ages ago.
So maybe it decided to interact with the Mac version if it is still present somewhere on the disk.
I thought that when deleting the Virtual OS in Parallels, I would get rid of the installed software too. And since nothing happened for over a year, I didn't bother about Parallels since.
I guess I could try to delete all and any folder associated with Parallels.

@Raz0rEdge it started to popup when copying through right click menu one day and that's it, now that is the way it still gets triggered after a period of rest (if I quit chrome or stop using it for a while).
Once initiated, it keeps on popping randomly, without a particular trigger, no matter what I type or do in Chrome.

I do have extensions in Chrome, I have tried removing/un-enabling them to no avail.
QUOTE Thanks
GreenYogi

Solved it.
I did a spotlight search for 'Parallels' and went on deleting all the related folders in the system.
The pop up has not come back since.

Thx for all the replies, it somehow emulated me to go ahead.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Quote:
I did a spotlight search for 'Parallels' and went on deleting all the related folders in the system.
The pop up has not come back since.
Good going! And thanks for posting back.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« the default mail program? | iCal imports »