New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

can't install Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tamati

tamati is on a distinguished road

this is a follow on from my post of 02-28-2014 'How can i get rid of safari?'
Well, thanks to Spox, all was sorted.
Ineeded to get rid of it because my system is 10.7 and needed to be 10.8 for that particular version.
But trying to install other versions threw up the message 'check with the developer to make sure Safari works with this version of Mac OSX'
I have tried 5.1.1 up tp 5.1.10 with the same results.
Ran Mac OSX Update Combo for Lion and it installed Safari 6.0.5 with the same result
I did finally look at the Report and got the following info.

Process: Safari [352]
Path: /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari
Identifier: com.apple.Safari
Version: 6.0.5 (7536.30.1)
Build Info: WebBrowser-7536030001000000~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [145]

Date/Time: 2014-03-04 11:51:59.223 +0000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.7.5 (11G63)
Report Version: 9

Interval Since Last Report: 385851 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 24
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 5
Anonymous UUID: 9C08D2B3-3075-4BBF-BE3A-C7E7A354653B

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText
Referenced from: /System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/WebKit
Reason: image not found

The 2nd line puzzles me - just can't find that path..
but could lines 20 -23 offer a clue? (Dyid Error Message)
the 2nd path exists but the 1st doesn't.
any help very much appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I just read over your prior post. You indicated you were given this MacBook recently? Just reinstall OS X and call it a day. There is simply no telling what the prior owner has done to it. At the least, s/he had a version of Safari on it that doesn't even work on this version of OS X, so who knows what other cruft is on there. If you ever want this thing to work properly, just reinstall OS X from scratch.

If you really want to know... I'm no expert on reading error messages, but the last part seems to be the most relevant:

Quote:
Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/Versions/A/CoreText
Referenced from: /System/Library/StagedFrameworks/Safari/WebKit.framework/WebKit
Reason: image not found
Those files are all in /System, and that is a folder you never ever ever EVER want to mess with. EVER! That is the beating heart of OS X and tinkering in there will make your system unusable if you don't know exactly what you are doing. As it stands, it seems from the error message that something is missing from that folder, and that same something wasn't added back in by the Update Combo, likely because there was no update for it. It could be a result of other issues like bad permissions. Maybe the prior owner screwed with it. You may well even have a failing hard drive for all we know and some files there are corrupt.

What I'm going to recommend right off the bat here is you test your hard drive just to make sure it isn't failing. For as old as that MacBook is right now, if that's the original hard drive, then there's a good chance it is nearing end of life. Read my tutorial on how to do so using a couple free-to-try SMART monitoring tools.

If your drive checks out, then seriously... just reinstall OS X and call it a day.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Those files are all in /System, and that is a folder you never ever ever EVER want to mess with. EVER! That is the beating heart of OS X and tinkering in there will make your system unusable if you don't know exactly what you are doing. As it stands, it seems from the error message that something is missing from that folder, and that same something wasn't added back in by the Update Combo, likely because there was no update for it.
Just to add to this important advice, it's worth knowing that WebKit and CoreText are used by much more than just Safari. I imagine that if components of each are missing, other things are broken.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Screen Sharing | How to make pasted text autoformat in Pages? »