New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mavericks Dictionary making every word selectable

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ebsseattle

ebsseattle is on a distinguished road

For some reason, Dictionary changed the font of all the words in it to bold and making them each selectable to view their definition. A little overkill. Any ideas how I can change it back to the normal way?

I'll upload 2 screenshots - one I found online of how it should look, and the other of how mine looks.
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

How it should look:

How mine looks:

Any ideas how to fix this?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Do you have Tinker Tool or some other app that allows playing with system fonts?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

Nope, don't have Tinker Tool or anything like it.
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

Have you ever seen anything like this happening? It doesn't seem like Dictionary has any preferences that can be changed, so I'm confused how they could have gotten changed like this.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Every word is selectable in the dictionary - nothing changed - that's the way it is.
I'm only wondering why you have a bold font - that would have had to be changed somewhere else in the system.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

I didn't remember everything having been selectable before, but it may very well have been. What's frustrating is the bold type. Any idea what font the system uses for this? Maybe re-installing the font will help fix it? That's the only thing I can think of.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When did the bolding occur? Use your Time Machine backups to restore the dictionary app back to a point in time when the font was normal. If you haven't been making backups, you're just going to have to figure out what it was that changed the font. The font your dictionary app is using (should be Helvetica 12 pt) is not even the normal system font, bold or not. Something you did or some application you installed changed it.
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
When did the bolding occur? Use your Time Machine backups to restore the dictionary app back to a point in time when the font was normal. If you haven't been making backups, you're just going to have to figure out what it was that changed the font. The font your dictionary app is using (should be Helvetica 12 pt) is not even the normal system font, bold or not. Something you did or some application you installed changed it.
I think it started a couple weeks ago. I tried the Time Machine backup but it doesn't look like the app itself is the issue because the current Dictionary I have, and the one in Time Machine, was created in August 2013. It has to be something dealing with either Dictionary preferences or something with fonts.

Do you know where Dictionary stores its preferences file? Maybe trashing them can re-create it from scratch?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you know where Dictionary stores its preferences file? Maybe trashing them can re-create it from scratch?
I could only find one plist file for the dictionary app but removing it may not help. It looks like it mirrors the general preferences that can be set. Here is where it's located:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Here is where it's located:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist
I looked there and in the Preferences folder of the main library but no plist file. Did it change in Mavericks?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

It's not in the main library. It's in your user library which is hidden by default. I should have mentioned that in my last post. You can unhide your user library by doing this. If removing the plist file doesn't work, post back and I'll suggest something that may work.
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

I saw that in your post and checked both in the main and the user libraries, but no such file. Any other suggestions are welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

That's strange, I wonder why that particular plist file is missing? Could be the cause of the problem. OK, maybe we can try to do this:

Download the free application "Tinker Tool" from here. After you download it, you're going to get a warning from the Mavericks GateKeeper. The application is safe and is not malware. I use it myself. Right click on the file and then select open. After it's installed, run it and go to the tab marked "Fonts". It will list the various fonts that are used. You can experiment with it a bit if you like. Click on the box at the bottom that says "Set to default". Maybe that will work.
QUOTE Thanks
ebsseattle

Just tried that, rebooted and opened Dictionary, but no luck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how can i get rid of safari? | CoD4 Crashing on Launch? »