New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How to View Magazine Subscriptions on OS X?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

derekeverett

derekeverett is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s

I personally don't use digital magazines yet, but my brother has a couple. To date he has purchased them on his iPhone using the native news-stand app, but really wants to view the magazines on his mac.

I assumed the new iBooks app on mavericks would solve this issue, but he is telling me that his books are available but not his magazines..

Any advice on how he could accomplish this?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I use Zinio

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
I use Zinio
I came across Zinio in a Google search...

It will open subscriptions made through the app on the iPhone?

and is Zinio in the Mac App store?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
It will open subscriptions made through the app on the iPhone?

and is Zinio in the Mac App store?
Zinio is not in the Mac App Store, however, it's found in the iTunes App Store, and yes you can read subscriptions on your iPhone and iPad that you paid for thru Zinio. As far as I'm aware, the only magazine subscriptions that I can read on my Mac are those which make themselves available for the Mac. Macworld, MacLife are two that can be read on your Mac as an example. There are many others also, you just have to inquire if a digital subscription is available when you subscribe.
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Zinio is not in the Mac App Store, however, it's found in the iTunes App Store, and yes you can read subscriptions on your iPhone and iPad that you paid for thru Zinio.
This confuses me a little.. he's looking to read his subscriptions on his Mac.. not a mobile device.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
This confuses me a little.. he's looking to read his subscriptions on his Mac.. not a mobile device.
See above, I added to my post.
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
See above, I added to my post.
Thanks. Sounds like he's out of luck on this then.

It's disappointing. Personally I abandoned iBooks some time ago because none of them worked on the mac. I understand that they will now.. but they're 3 years behind Amazon on making that a reality. Pretty sad.

Guess he won't be buying any more magazines through Apple either. It makes zero sense. If it can work on iOS then why not on the Mac?

Disappointing.
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

I use Zinio also, but to view magazines with it, they must be purchased through Zinio online. That said, I find it a wonderful app and you can get it both for IOS and OSX. Letting you use it on your tablet or phone and desktop all at the same time.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
derekeverett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
I use Zinio also, but to view magazines with it, they must be purchased through Zinio online. That said, I find it a wonderful app and you can get it both for IOS and OSX. Letting you use it on your tablet or phone and desktop all at the same time.
I will suggest that as perhaps the best solution for his future purchases.. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« image capture version number | Safari and pdf's »