New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Network monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

imfromwales

imfromwales is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody. I am trying to find an app which will monitor network usage on our home network.

I am the administrator of the Family Macbook, but my children use their own Macbooks. I am hoping there is an app which I an install on my Macbook which can monitor network usage, such as websites visited.

I am looking for find an app which is as cheap as possible, if not free. I have seen there is Netuse Traffic Monitor, although I am not sure it does what I need and its quite expensive.

I don't want my children to know I am monitoring their usage or I would just apply some parental controls. I want to give them freedom unless I know they are abusing this freedom.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I am not a parent, but (depending on the age of the children involved) wouldn't letting them know you are monitoring their Internet use be a better approach? Wouldn't that make them less likely to visit "bad" sites? You'd know better than I, of course, but "spying" on the kids surreptitiously is bound to cause trust issues at some point ...

My father-in-law (this is some time ago now, so his technique may not work these days) had a clever way of "monitoring" Internet use: the only computer that was allowed to be connected to the net was in the main room of the house, and faced everyone. He (and sometimes anybody) wasn't in the room all the time, but others had to pass through there to go to any other part of the house, so there was more or less constant traffic. This was pretty effective in keeping everyone "clean" on their internet use.
QUOTE Thanks
imfromwales

imfromwales is on a distinguished road

Yes you are very right in what you say, although my children have laptops for school and they have smart phones. Simply putting one computer in the house is not possible. If I tell them I am monitoring them, they will most likley not believe me as I know very little about networking, so I would actually want to monitor them to say for instance that I knew they were on X site 5 minutes ago, then they would know I was monitoring them!

Ive used Debokee although it monitors everything the router does, which makes it hard to simply see websites visited, for example it shows all trackers and every single connection made through the router. I am after something that will simply show what websites my children have visited, rather than the connections made through the router for trcking websites and adds e.t.c
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

A of new routers have pretty good monitoring/filtering tools that you can use. So what router do you have? Most other monitoring tools do end up watching everything which is a bit of an overkill..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Motion window gets dark on external monitor | Excel for Mac doesn't work properly with a second monitor »