New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problems importing photos from camera

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

audax2

audax2 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys

I'm having problems importing into iPhoto.

My stuff:
Late 2008 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.8
iPhoto 08
Canon 450D digital SLR
Canon S90 point and shoot

I do not have Canon's proprietary software for importing images installed, as I have used it and I do not like it, but I have not previously had any problems importing directly to iPhoto without benefit of Canon's software.

I have opened iPhoto ; made the connections with the appropriate USB/mini USB cord, and then switched the Canon 450D on. The only thing that happens is that the word BUSY appears briefly in the upper left of the LCD, and that's it.

Exactly the same thing happens if I try to upload images from the S90.

Neither Camera shows up in the iPhoto source list, or under hardware in About this Mac.

I have searched the net for a solution without any success.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Before I ever got my first digital camera - read a ton of stuff and found a whole bunch of exactly these reports - attempting to connect a camera direct to a computer - almost without exception, for transferring pics after the fact, most of the pro photographers said just don't do it.

Get a card reader. Hence, I have never directly connected mine to a computer. Don't think I even pulled the cable out of the box to try it out. I just buy el cheapo (<$10, actually, I think most of them were less than $5 from amazon) multi-card readers 2-3 at a time. They do seem to wear out or quit functioning all too often.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
audax2

Thanks bobtomay

I agree a card reader would solve the problem, but I was able to import perfectly well only yesterday, so I will keep trying for the time being. I want to keep the process as simple as possible.

I only have my laptop with me, as I'm on vacation, but as soon as I get home, I'll try with another computer.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by audax2 View Post
I agree a card reader would solve the problem, but I was able to import perfectly well only yesterday, so I will keep trying for the time being. I want to keep the process as simple as possible.

I only have my laptop with me, as I'm on vacation, but as soon as I get home, I'll try with another computer.
Well, cannot solve your immediate issue if you want to cable your camera to your computer but have to agree w/ Bobtomay - I'm on my 4th digital camera (and have migrated from Windows to Apple OS) and 4th or 5th laptop - all have had SD card slots - the simplest option for me has always been to pop in the SD card and transfer the images - nothing can be simpler.

A 'wireless' option which I own is the AirStash - will accept your SD camera cards, setup a personal WiFi network, and w/ an app on your iDevice or an OS computer, images can be easily transferred - just a few suggestions. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 611EIavd8JL._SL1500_.jpg (36.4 KB, 17 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, sorry - I know that is an overly simplistic answer (I guess, more like not really an answer at all) and there is bound to be a better one - I just don't know it and haven't seen a good one about why it seems not to work...

If it's been working for awhile and then 1 day it's not, about the only thing I can think of would be to restart the computer &/or the camera.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
audax2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Yeah, sorry - I know that is an overly simplistic answer (I guess, more like not really an answer at all) and there is bound to be a better one - I just don't know it and haven't seen a good one about why it seems not to work...

If it's been working for awhile and then 1 day it's not, about the only thing I can think of would be to restart the computer &/or the camera.
Thanks bobtomay and Rad Dave.

I'll probably get a card reader when I get home (I'm in a remote area at present).

(I have tried turning off both the computer and the camera, and then switching them back on, with no success.)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMGBURN equivalent | Photo Size »