New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

More S/W recommendations wanted.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dsyes

I'm new to mac (3days) and so far just a couple of things I'd like to run down.

I REALLY would like to find a password manager similar to RoboForm to use on my powerbook. Matter of fact it is a necessity. (not very succesful with the keychain thing for some reason)

Also I downloaded MacTheRipper , looks great , but will need other apps to burn DVD's with. What do you feel is the best path for this.
Convienence is important but so is quality. ( need something that can edit, like in movie only or full disk, compress, burn ) Use to use dvdShrink / nero combo on my pc but want to see if the mac will be faster.

While we are on the subject I also need a keyboard, I have my pb hooked up with my pc on a KVM switch but my MS keyboard does not support any mac features. It works just does'nt use all the features of the mac.
(need corded /usb) but needs to be both PC/ MAC compliant.

Hey any recommendations will be appreciated....thanks
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Get an apple pro keyboard.. That is all I know from all your questions sorry.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
dsyes

MTR > Popcorn looks like the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

What issues are you specifically having with Keychain?

I've never had to bother with a different password manager, although I believe Camino & Safari are the only browsers that support it.

But other apps (Mail, iChat, AdiumX, Network settings etc.) should all work fine.

Try the 'rebuild keychain' (or something similar like that) to fix any problems you might be having.
QUOTE Thanks
dsyes

Keychain just does not try to save or fill in some of the sites I use. It is possible that I did do something to disable it but as I am sooo new to mac I would not know what it would be. I will give the rebuild a shot.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyes

While we are on the subject I also need a keyboard, I have my pb hooked up with my pc on a KVM switch but my MS keyboard does not support any mac features. It works just does'nt use all the features of the mac.
(need corded /usb) but needs to be both PC/ MAC compliant.
I can tell you from experience with KVM switches, any keyboard will work. The MS Keyboard does indeed support Mac related key combos... the keys are just a little different. For example, the "Windows" key becomes the "command or Apple" key. "Alt" becomes "option"....etc.
All of the F-keys should work as well.
Other than those I can't think of any "Mac" features that a keyboard has to offer.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

What Mac features does your keyboard not support? I never had any problems with my Microsoft Keyboard, just install the drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I have never even needed to install drivers. Any keyboard should just work.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
dsyes

I have an older ms "Internet Keyboard Pro" it is solid as a rock & has everything I need , I'll download the driver to the mac.

I really cannot get Keychain to do anything.. when I go to
Safari > preferences > autofill > edit , the list is always blank...?

How do I get login info into keychain? the boxes on the autofill page are all checked.

I have entered the url & user name & password into the keychain access page but nothing happens when I go to the page to login.

I know it is probably some little item I am missing somewhere but I do not know what it is yet..... I'm thinking I need to do some reading on the overall big piture of how the mac os works. I really don't have a clue as to what I am doing.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Open Safari, select Safari from the menu bar and select reset safari.
Most likely you told safari not to save your user name & password for certain sites, resetting it will force it to ask you again.

Reset, go to webpage, pop in your pword and hit enter, it should ask you if it should remember your data.

Some websites prevent this from being saved for security reasons though (bank websites for example).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« The Sims 2 menu bar wont stay on the screen!! | using "Q" to emulate x86 »