New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Do most people still use a mail client

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

or, do most just log into their mail via a browser?
I only ask because I believe the Apple Mail client has some issues.
I have recently been having problems with a 1 year old Mac Mini which will lock up (totally) when put into sleep mode. I had Apple Mail set to check for new mail every hour. I now close the Mail app before I put the Mini to sleep, and, so far, it hasn't locked up.
I also raised a ticket with Apple support who told me there is a known issue with sleep mode and the computer locking up. They didn't say anything about the Mail app, or what might be causing this, they only said they hoped to provide a fix at a later date.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Hello - you might want to provide the OS X installed on your Mac Mini - there have been issues w/ Mavericks some of which have been addressed by Apple (maybe?).

We have nearly year old Macs (iMac & MBPro) both upgraded to Mavericks; our mail accounts are w/ Yahoo - I use Mail on my laptop and have not had any major issues; wife uses the iMac and complained about Mail on her computer, so she uses Yahoo on Safari. So, we have a 'mixed' family experience, I guess. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
p_rod

p_rod will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir

neilf:

I, too had many issues with Mail, both in Mountain Lion and in Mavericks. In ML, the lockups coming out of sleep were roughly 85-90% of the ti (not just closing it) the Mail proggie before sleeping the MBA and things were fine.

I then upgraded to Mavericks and instead of lockups, after almost every session where I slept the unit for minutes to a couple of hours, when it was time to shut down the machine (and yes, I've been told not to do that so often but I still do-lots of power spikes in my region) I would have to Force Quit the Mail program almost every time. It just would not shut down on it's own.

I just underwent my first (and second) clean install of Mavericks with help from forum members here and a Mac Life staffer. It was a relatively painless procedure...the first time taking about 2 hours (that included downloading and creating a bootable thumb drive) and the second time, the following day, only took 45 minutes.

It's been about a week now and I have yet to have an issue with Mail (and I am firmly knocking on my wooden desk right now :-)

I learned several things from my clean install.... 1) It's not that hard to do. 2) Practice makes you a LOT faster, 3) you gain a TON of room on your drive if you don't do a restore) and 4) your machine runs like a scalded cat! and probably most importantly, 5) If you were having "issues" with one or more programs performing a clean install can (not 100% always) clear up those issues.

That's my 0.02.

Cheers!

Pat
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

My first guess would be that the issue is with the 'Power Nap' feature.

Give a try turning it off and see if that stops the issues - link.
I have turned it off on my Mac - the wife is still using it - but she doesn't use Mail either.

While we don't recommend doing a clean install to fix issues most of the time - particularly if you've been doing upgrade installs, it could very well take care of some issues (sometimes strange issues).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Hello - you might want to provide the OS X installed on your Mac Mini - there have been issues w/ Mavericks some of which have been addressed by Apple (maybe?).

We have nearly year old Macs (iMac & MBPro) both upgraded to Mavericks; our mail accounts are w/ Yahoo - I use Mail on my laptop and have not had any major issues; wife uses the iMac and complained about Mail on her computer, so she uses Yahoo on Safari. So, we have a 'mixed' family experience, I guess. Dave
Sorry. It's Mavericks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have been using Mail since OSX 10.2 on the following systems, Old Power Mac 7600 with G3 CPU, Many G4's, iBook G4, iMac G5 iSight, 3 different Mac Mini's both PPC and Intel C2d, Intel Imacs and Macbook and never have had one issue with Mail and I leave Mail running the whole time the machine is on. Always comes out of sleep just fine.

Not sure what is causing issues for you but I can not duplicate it here.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

To answer your topic question, you'd need poll data. Now, you could do a poll here, but the sample size would be small and skewed. So you could do a web search and see if anyone has done a scientific poll. As for me, I've never used Apple's Mail, just a browser. (I also had AOL before Mail existed.)
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

i have used Mac Mail since 06 with just a few minor glitches along the way but since Maverick's its been trouble free.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Mavericks Mail is just fine and trouble free. Then again I always choose to do a format and install rather than a simple upgrade. Like others have used Mac Mail only since 1995 or so.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Used Mac Mail since '06 - only real issues were created by the guy at the keyboard.

I have had my MBA not be able to come out of sleep - at all - a few times - or would come out and then freeze or black screen immediately - it was fairly rare and has not happened in awhile - if it doesn't happen again within another month - then I'll be willing to say it coincided with my decision to turn off Power Nap.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

only real issues were created by the guy at the keyboard.

In motoring terms known as 'the nut behind the wheel?'

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Ive used Mac Mail since Leopard, and the only issue i ever had, was problems with the .hotmail account authenticating and needing a password all the time. Once i got a new mail address all was ok even in Mavericks.
I dotn do a great deal apart from send and receive mail, but i ended up going for Airmail from the Mac App Store, because i like the way the Dev was going with it, (reading the forums he is very involved) and i wanted a bit of flare/colour when i was using it, and i could customise it to suit me. The only thing i don't like about it is i can't go to the "Classic" view as in Mac Mail.
At the end of the day Mac Mail work very well, and Apple have done a lot with it, in the last couple of years. It even supports GPGMail for secure signing of a email.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The nice thing about Mac Mail is that the interface is simple and easy to use with both PoP and IMAP. The only thing I don't like about Mail is the way it stores messages. Mail messages are buried 4 or 5 folders deep and very difficult to restore even if you faithfully use Time Machine. I purposely keep archived messages stored on the server for that very reason. Of course since I use gmail, I have plenty of storage space to work with.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

If Mail bothers you, there's always third party clients such as Thunderbird of, if you use Office 2011, Outlook (Entourage if using an older version).

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Ahh for the days of Netscape Navigator and Netscape Communicator and OS X.7.6.1 hey vansmith?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Migrating MS Access to Imac | Pages Update From 4.3 to 5.1 »