Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    CHR15B
    Guest
    Software for new Mac user.
    Ok, I'm in the process of switching to Tiger, from Windows XP.

    What can I use for MP3, I'm not a fan of iTunes. I like Windows Media and Winamp so something similar would be ideal!

    Web Design - I current use Frontpage, is there a similar application for OSX?

    Photo Editing - I use the GIMP in Linux or Photoshop in windows, can I get the GIMP for mac?

    Some links to pages would be useful, thanks

  2. #2
    PowerbookG417
    Guest
    similar to winamp might be VLC but its not very user friendly..maybe if you give itunes a little bit more of a try for a couple of weeks you might learn to love it.

    Webdesign - the new iweb might work well for you, dreamweaver might be a little to advance check on www.versiontracker.com for web design software.

    Photo-editing - photoshop still.. maybe iphoto depending on what you wnat to do, graphics-convertor, and im sure you can get gimp just need to run it in X11

    you can also find more software on www.macupdate.com

  3. #3

    christm's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 18, 2005
    Location
    Devon, England
    Posts
    2,288
    Specs:
    ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerbookG417
    similar to winamp might be VLC but its not very user friendly..maybe if you give itunes a little bit more of a try for a couple of weeks you might learn to love it.

    Webdesign - the new iweb might work well for you, dreamweaver might be a little to advance check on www.versiontracker.com for web design software.

    Photo-editing - photoshop still.. maybe iphoto depending on what you wnat to do, graphics-convertor, and im sure you can get gimp just need to run it in X11

    you can also find more software on www.macupdate.com
    i hated itunes on my windows machine until 6.?.? came out and now i hate media player. I have tried vlc on my mac but h8 it. so hard to use.

    cheers and gd luck

    chris tm :mac:

  4. #4
    robertday
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christm
    i hated itunes on my windows machine until 6.?.? came out and now i hate media player. I have tried vlc on my mac but h8 it. so hard to use.

    cheers and gd luck

    chris tm :mac:
    I hated iTunes on my Windows and it was rubbish, it all looked so bulky! But now I have Mac I love iTunes, try it out i learned to love it and use it every day. Its amazing!

    Also try iWeb it is a really simple program with iLife '06 for websites.... :headphone

  5. #5

    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,898
    Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    The Gimp is avalible for OSX. You also have to install X11 from the OSX DVD. It works just like the Linux version for the bit I have used it.

  6. #6
    kcoates55
    Guest
    If you're making the switch from Windows XP to Tiger, why in the world would you keep those Windows-based applications? Take the plunge. Switch over all the way. Maybe you'll like the Mac applications after a little time to get used to them. The integration of the Apple software is so painless and smooth. And if after a while, you just can't handle it, well, you can always go back.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    May 26, 2005
    Location
    Walsall, England
    Posts
    243
    For someone who uses linux I don't think VLC will be too hard to work out! VLC is very good at playing lots of different video formats.

    For web design, you might want to look at NVU (open source freeware, and it's available for windows, linux and osx).

    I don't know of any alternatives for mp3 music players, I've been happy with itunes since I got my mac. Is there anything in particular that annoys you or you don't like? maybe it can be changed if so.

    As others have said, you can get the gimp (to install X11 you need to do a bit of hunting on the DVD, I think you need to run a package called "Install additional software" and then you have to select X11 as something you want to install).

  8. #8

    shetz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    57
    Specs:
    2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon 2GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcoates55
    If you're making the switch from Windows XP to Tiger, why in the world would you keep those Windows-based applications? Take the plunge. Switch over all the way. Maybe you'll like the Mac applications after a little time to get used to them. The integration of the Apple software is so painless and smooth. And if after a while, you just can't handle it, well, you can always go back.

    Amen to that, and then some. Once you go Mac, there just isn't any going back...

    The multi-platform apps (Photoshop, Freehand, Flash, etc.) for the Mac run as well as, or better than their Windows counterparts.
    He who laughs last will often find that he has no one to laugh with.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New mac user, how do I uninstall a software?
    By mikedee2 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 07:18 PM
  2. New Mac user looking for software (OS 9.2)
    By obsidor in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-14-2009, 05:16 PM
  3. Software update - new Mac user
    By touringman in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 05:54 PM
  4. new mac user needs software
    By EverchangingOne in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 04:12 PM
  5. New Software questions for new Mac user
    By roxster in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 05:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •