New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Software recommendations

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

y2kt

Basically I am new to Mac's, and have ordered a Mac Mini which should be here soon, and I want some advice on what programs to use for a few things.

Firstly, which browser is best? Is Safari the best or are there any better browsers around?

What is the best MSN Messenger client?

What is the best P2P program?
QUOTE Thanks
ankushpatel

hey, well welcome!

Dont download Ie for mac its a waste, Safari is the best you can get, good for bloking popups overall its great.

For msn messenger id recommend dont download it, its lacking video and audio chat which i hate!!!!!!!

For p2p id recommend Limewire-fastest you can get.
Also bit-torrent isnt that bad!
For other apps, i think ur mac mini comes with ilife06 which is of da hook!

I think your good to go then!!!!!

good luck

Ankush Patel
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

msn is a little lacking, adium is a good multiclient chat program but you cant transfer files with it yet. use ichat if you want, comes with your mini and is a great program as well

safari is great, some prefer firefox, some like camino....they are all great browswers

p2p...limewire is alright, bittorrent is good as well, i use azureus, others here use bitsonwheels or tomatotorrent

neo office is a great open source program which is 99% similar to microsoft word and is free

download increase from macupdate.com and start your computer folding for our folding@home team
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
hondagus87

hondagus87 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: New MACBOOK

I use the following programs:

Camino for web browsing (alot like safari but seems to be quicker)

MS Office for MAC (word, excel, powerpoint)

Fire - Chat program works with MSN, Yahoo, and AIM

Limewire - P2P
QUOTE Thanks
Daniel 1989 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kt
Basically I am new to Mac's, and have ordered a Mac Mini which should be here soon, and I want some advice on what programs to use for a few things.

Firstly, which browser is best? Is Safari the best or are there any better browsers around?

What is the best MSN Messenger client?

What is the best P2P program?
Use Safari for your browsers its awesome it blocks all pop ups and you don't get notified of it which can be annoying it loads really fast and theres a private browsing feature.

for messenger get Adium its like the Mac Trillian which can connect to MSN.AIM.Yahoo and many more or if you only use MSN either get Mercury or stick with the Mac:MSN.
QUOTE Thanks
y2kt

Thanks guys.

I will probably try out Firefox as well as Safari, as it is what I use on my PC, then I will see which I prefer.

For P2P I'll probably get Limewire to start with.

For messengers I think I will get Adium.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
to_tough_to_die

to_tough_to_die will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM

Don't use LimeWire. Horrid program. To much Spyware (even if you have a Mac). Slow downloads. No content.

Get Bittorent instead.

I'd use Windows... but I like the Mac OS more.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die
Don't use LimeWire. Horrid program. To much Spyware (even if you have a Mac). Slow downloads. No content.

Get Bittorent instead.
Yeah, I'd go for Acquisition before Limewire. As for Bittorrent, I think Azureus is the best torrent app you can get.
QUOTE Thanks
y2kt

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_tough_to_die

Get Bittorent instead.
I didn't think there was much chance of getting spyware on macs? Should I use an anti-spyware program then if that is the case?
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

You can't get spyware on a mac, there is just alot of it on limewire when you are searching for something and it turns out to be a spyware application is what I think they are talking about.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

There isn't really much spyware (if any) for macs out in the wild, but you can never be too careful...

If you like Firefox, be sure to try Camino (like Firefox also by Mozilla, but with OS X's good looks )
QUOTE Thanks
apple_power

Location: London, Germany, USA, France, Holland, Belgium, Canada
apple_power is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Too many to list but have the latest to oldest macs.

What about office 2004
amsn allows you to vidoe with people on normal msna nd has afew more options then msn.
also azures is definatly best bittorrent for macs i feel.
Limewire just bogs the system down
Get Vlc plays most video files.
Quicktime pro so you can use full screen playback.

What exactly are you after doing with your mac?

that helps to narrow what I would personally recommend.
Welcome to the world of mactopia

Who dare's wins... :ninja:
QUOTE Thanks
y2kt

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple_power
What exactly are you after doing with your mac?
general use, mainly just internet and downloading, and using my pc for gaming and stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving files in finder vs. copying | TAB question about IE, Firefox, or Safari »