New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

All of the apps I install don't respond! help!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickismusic

nickismusic is on a distinguished road

I have multiple programs that I have tried getting to work but have no luck running.
I got my iMac for the core reason of recording music, for preproduction for when we go to the studio. I used to have a PC and decided to make the switch, best decision ever.
Anyways, multiple programs, (I.E. Guitar Pro 6, Logic Pro, Ableton Live, and Guitar Rig), I will install perfectly fine then when I try to run them, they will sit on the load up screen with the beach ball and say "program not responding" and I'll have to force quit. I've tried everything I know that I could do to fix them. I've tried reinstalling them, installing on a different account, etc. What other options would I have to diagnosing the problem? I don't really know how to use most of the utilities in the "other" folder on my launchpad.
I'm pretty new to Macs so any information is gonna be helpful!
Thanks so much.
Nick
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

How old are all of these applications...and what OS version is the iMac running?

If the applications are too old...and the OS version is somewhat newer...it's possible there are some compatibility problems.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ferrarr

ferrarr has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Late 2011 15" MBP Quad 2.2 I7 OS X.9 16GB 240GB SSD & 500GB (no Optical drive)

Hi, can you tell us what iMac you have?
QUOTE Thanks
nickismusic

Right now I have OS X Version 10.8.3
2.9 GHz i5
Most of the apps are up to date
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickismusic View Post
Most of the apps are up to date
Thanks for the OS info...but the app info isn't enough. "Up To Date" can mean many things. The question is...how old are these apps. What versions are they...and what year were they released?

For example...someone can be running Adobe Creative Suite 3 app's (CS3)...and all of these apps can be "Up To Date". But since CS3 is from 2007...those apps are still old. CS6 being the most current.

So it's important to know how old your apps are.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
nickismusic

I know the Guitar Pro 6 is from a couple years back(2010/11 I believe)
Guitar Rig is 5.1.0, from 2012
Logic Pro X is 10.0.4 from 2013(Aug/Oct)
QUOTE Thanks
nickismusic

Abelton Live is from March 2013 and its V 9.0.1
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Ok...thanks for all that info! With the "newness" of the apps...and the iMac is running Mac OS 10.8.3...I'm not really seeing a reason why these apps shouldn't work.

So my next 2 questions:

- Are these apps Macintosh versions or Windows versions? I know that Logic Pro X is a Mac Only app...but I wasn't 100% sure of the others.

- Did you purchase all of these apps (with original install media and/or serial numbers)...or were these apps obtained via other means (which could make them more difficult to install successfully)?

QUOTE Thanks
nickismusic

Yeah I purchased a few of them, the others were given to me by a friend. I know for a fact they have worked on other Macs though.
yeah all of them are for Mac, and they all installed successfully, but will not go past the startup logo screen for each app.

Also, when I first got the iMac, i tried using Garageband and the same thing happened. So it isn't just applications I have put on here.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

If you launch console.app from Applications/utilities .... are there any error messages in the logfile.
That might give you an indication/error code and may point you further in the investigation as to why these apps. have a problem.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
nickismusic

I got these:
1/3/14 9:00:41.589 AM GuitarPro[4448]: OS version : 10.8

1/3/14 9:00:41.589 AM GuitarPro[4448]: Check done, use Cocoa

1/3/14 9:02:45.266 AM spindump[4456]: Saved spin report for GuitarPro version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/GuitarPro_2014-01-03-090245_Nicks-iMac.spin

1/3/14 9:03:12.853 AM spindump[4464]: Saved spin report for GuitarPro version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/GuitarPro_2014-01-03-090312_Nicks-iMac.spin

then i opened the last spin report and it said:

Date/Time: 2014-01-03 09:03:01 -0500
OS Version: 10.8.3 (Build 12D78)
Architecture: x86_64
Report Version: 11

Command: Guitar Pro
Path: /Applications/GuitarPro.app/Contents/MacOS/GuitarPro
Version: ??? (???)
Parent: launchd [306]

PID: 4448
Event: timeout
Duration: 10.02s
Steps: 101 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: iMac13,1
Active cpus: 4
Free pages: 744293 pages (-1126)
Pageins: 2 pages
Pageouts: 0 pages

Process: GuitarPro [4448]
Path: /Applications/GuitarPro.app/Contents/MacOS/GuitarPro
Architecture: i386
Parent: launchd [306]
UID: 501
Task size: 8869 pages
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

The fact that spindump is running indicates an application/process that is not responsive anymore( hangs)
Are you sure Guitar Pro is the latest version for your OS ?
Are you running other apps that may be competing for the same ( audio ) device ?
Not sure this has anything to do with it, but it is worthwhile reading ( threads are old, but you never know )

https://discussions.apple.com/message/9662101#9662101
Improve Mac OS X performance under load by disabling spindump. | James Reuben Knowles

https://discussions.apple.com/message/7087216#7087216
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0

I have no experience with Guitar Pro, so the links above my not be the solution, but it may be a start.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicken | Using OS 10.9.1 Word 2011 for Mac - Using Fields in Creating Templates »