New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Alias files and burn folders problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RussELL

RussELL is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks:
I'm using two macs: MacBookPro/OS X 10.4.11 and an IMAC/OS X 10.6.8.
I can no longer burn a CD on either of these computers. I create a burn folder, drag and drop the .JPG photo files to the folder, but get an alias attachment to each file. My Macs will not burn the CD and I get a message saying "The alias (name of file) can't be opened because the original item can't be found."
Did Mac try to fix something that was not broken? How do I burn a CD now?
Thanks.
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Are you sure you're not dragging an alias to the file into the folder? Can you open one of the files in Preview before dragging it?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
RussELL

Hi Craig,
Yes, I can open all the files in Preview before dragging them and they all say ".jpg image"
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

And they all show up as aliases? Where are you dragging them from?

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
RussELL

Hi Craig,
Thanks for your response. Yes, they all show up as aliases. I took the photos, photoshopped them and saved them to a jump drive; then, I created a burn folder and dragged and dropped them from the jump drive to the burn folder where they all appear as alias. I never had this problem before.
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

Sorry, been gone all day.
Tried it myself and dragging from a flash drive does create an alias instead of copying. Assuming you eject the flash drive before burning naturally it cant fine the original.
Try dragging to a regular folder. It will copy. Then use something like Burn to burn to cd/dvd.
Burn - Home

QUOTE Thanks
RussELL

Hi Craig,
Once again, thanks for your response, it certainly is appreciated.
I tried your suggestion: created a folder > moved some .jpg files to it > then created a new burn folder and moved the files from the first folder to the burn folder and the burn folder files are all aliases.
Russ
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

It''s not necessary to make a burn folder. You can use the program I mentioned above or you can just right-click on the folder and select 'Burn "foldername" to disk'.
Evidently 'burn folders' only accept aliases of whatever you put in there.

QUOTE Thanks
RussELL

Hi Craig,
Thanks a million! I selected the files then burned them and it worked! It really is a shame "burn folder" no longer works - it did for years. I guess Mac decided to fix what was not broken.
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
Russ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Microstoft office from amazon legit? | Trying to transfer GarageBand from old Macbook 05 to new Macbook Pro 09 but software »