New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Upgrades free or for sale?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

McThomas

McThomas is on a distinguished road

How do I tell if an "update” is free or for sale? I keep getting unrequested “updates available” notifications, daily, giving me no option to say “no thanks” but only to select update now or try tomorrow. That sounds like a free update, but it does not say so, nor does it give a price for the updates that are offered (Pages, OSX, Keynote, PDF OCR X) if they are recommended that I BUY.

How can I find out? For sale or free “update”? Please help.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Assuming you mean on the Mac App Store, they are ALWAYS free.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by McThomas View Post
How do I tell if an "update” is free or for sale? I keep getting unrequested “updates available” notifications, daily, giving me no option to say “no thanks” but only to select update now or try tomorrow. That sounds like a free update, but it does not say so, nor does it give a price for the updates that are offered (Pages, OSX, Keynote, PDF OCR X) if they are recommended that I BUY.

How can I find out? For sale or free “update”? Please help.
As already stated, if the updates are from the MAS (Mac App Store), then they apply to programs already on your computer and will be installed at no cost to you.

Now if you want to control notification and manual vs. automatic installation of these apps, then go into System Preferences > App Store (pic of how mine is setup) - you have plenty of choices in deciding how you want this process to operate. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-12-22 at 7.17.50 PM.png (110.1 KB, 34 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

What you may be seeing is the automated update check. This is the same thing as the "Software Update" option under the Apple drop-down menu. These have always been free.

Depending on the OS version that is installed. The frequency of this "update check" can be adjusted by going to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Software Update
- Then adjust as desired.

* Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
McThomas

McThomas is on a distinguished road

Thank you all. What you have said certainly is reasonable - but I didn't want to presume.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Generally, Apple and other software developers use the term update for free software that improves something in the currently available version. An upgrade is a new version, and is not usually free. Apple has released some upgrades that are free, just to make this more confusing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tune Up for iTunes | GameRanger problem »