New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

More mail than I see???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad (Retina), 13" MBP and MacMini

OK, I sent myself some emails to see what it reported. On Send, it showed the message departing. On receive, it reported 61 of 61 for the first email, then 63 of 63 for a second one that came with another email at the same time. Maybe it's counting from some event?

I then closed Mail and opened it again and sent another email to myself. It reported number 3 outbound, but number 1 inbound, so It may be counting how many emails since Mail was last launched.

For the OP, does that seem likely?

UPDATE: Just repeated the process and now both the number sent and received are clearly counting up from the last launch. I think I misread the first report on sent, as it showed as 2 for the second sent since the launch.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I keep Mail open all the time. Tried sending from one account to another:
Sending 5 of 5
Receiving 132 of 132

Quit Mail, re-opened it:
Sending (topic of message) - one email
Receiving 12 of 12

Only got 1 message, the one I sent.
Something strange here...
Although it 'might' be doing some housekeeping in Gmail (that was the receiving account).

Edit: Sent from Gmail to other account:
Sending 2 of 2
Receiving 5 of 5
WTH?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, that's what I saw. It seemed to need some "down" time to update the count after restarting Mail. On first send, it said sending 3 of 3, then on the second send it was 2 of 2. So something funky in the outbound count, but the inbound seemed, for me, to be accurate. In either case, though, it takes a little bit for the counter to reset/correct.

EDIT: I'm on comcast, not gmail, so it's not specific to Gmail, me thinks.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Jonzjob is an unknown at this point

That is the screen I use Craig, spot on.

I use Wanadoo.fr and gmail, though not much of gmail and you are getting exactly the same sort of count as I am. I hadn't thought about closing Mail down. Most of the time I just shut the lid on our MBP.

I have just tried shutting and reopening Mail and as you said it seems to be counting the number sent and received, at least up to 5 tests so far it has? Ve liff, und ve learn?

Strange things going on in the wood shed, to quote the old expression

Ta muchly for the solution folks

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I haven't noticed this in years, but it used to be the case that I'd see the number of incoming emails, but those that were classified as "junk" of course never made it into my inbox ... so out of say 30 incoming emails, I might get 10.

Could that be what's going on?
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

I have just checked my Junk box, which I have never emptied, and there's nothing in there. I don't know if it empties when I shut Mail down though?

John.
I have discovered that wine gets better with age. The older I get the more I like it ! http://jonzjob.hpage.com/
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

What the message says is "Incoming Messages X of X" so what you are seeing is "Incoming Messages 19 of 19" which is ONE message, the 19th since starting mail. Not 19 messages now, just one.

- Jake
QUOTE Thanks
Jonzjob

Tat make sense Jake. Thank you for taking time to sort it. Much appreciated!!

John.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Software to recover formatted partition | View pages side by side in Word's Publishing Layout View? »