New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Time Machine Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

Just started using Time Machine to backup my MBP. I have an external drive connected to my Airport Extreme. All seems to be going well. I have some questions:

1. Do you trust Time Machine to be your only back up?

2. Seems to me that you can do a full restore or find a missing file from TM. Is it good enough to trust all your pictures and music too?

3. If you buy a new MBP can you migrate you files or do a complete install?

4. Can you have it back up just one or two times a day? Just a single home user don't need backed up every hour.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Pony View Post
Just started using Time Machine to backup my MBP. I have an external drive connected to my Airport Extreme. All seems to be going well. I have some questions:

1. Do you trust Time Machine to be your only back up?
I've never had an issue but I and others use CarbonCopyCloner too

Quote:
2. Seems to me that you can do a full restore or find a missing file from TM. Is it good enough to trust all your pictures and music too?
You can, see answer above

Quote:
3. If you buy a new MBP can you migrate you files or do a complete install?
You need an OS in place (as you would on a new machine). You can then use the migration assistant to bring everything or particular parts back.

Quote:
4. Can you have it back up just one or two times a day? Just a single home user don't need backed up every hour.
There are third party tools but as it only ever backs up changes there is little or no overhead in having it run with default settings

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

It does hourly,weekly and monthly and I have used it since day one without a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.5

Hi V6Pony - you've received great advice, so my comments will simply add to those already mentioned and provide a few additional considerations. Over the years, I've had at least 3 external BU HDDs fail, thus you should never rely on just one BU strategy - redundancy is the rule - below is what I've done on my two Apple computers (after a lot of reading and much advice from members in this forum).

MBPro: 1) Time Machine; 2) CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner); 3) Bootable USB drive; and 4) La Cie external SSD for my own files (docs/pics/music).

iMac: 1) Time Machine; 2) CCC; and 3) Carbonite (online storage of personal files mainly) - bootable USB drive will work w/ either computer.

Now another consideration would be to keep a backup 'offsite' in case of a physical disaster (fire, storm, etc.). SO, bottom line is that you need to do 'something' more - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
V6Pony

V6Pony has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

Thanks for the info all. Very good info. I also own CCC and can do a clone as well. Guess it would be a good idea to get a second HD to do a clone to. Just using this drive to clone then power it off.
QUOTE Thanks
MacInWin

MacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to beholdMacInWin is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, 13" MBP and MacMini

I trust TM, but i don't trust hardware, so I TM to one drive, CCC to a second drive. Sounds like your plan is good, so go with it. I also use Time Machine Scheduler, an application that lets me schedule TM backups instead of them happening every hour. I do my backups twice a day, twelve hours apart, and my CCC clone once a day. My files are not that volatile, so I don't mind if I lose a day's work.
QUOTE Thanks
ScaryFatKidGT

ScaryFatKidGT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP 15" 2.6 i7 with GT 650M, 16gb ram

I just TM to an external, actually only did it to move to a new comp, never had anyback up before ha
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Cloning with SuperDuper is my preferred option. Either SD or CCC will be bootable if you have an internal drive crash, something that TM is not. With SD best option is to have current OS on a USB thumb drive as no Recovery partition is constructed at this stage.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I must point out that you already have redundancy, even if you only back up to Time Machine. Your redundant copy is ... the boot drive itself! If you make a backup of it, you now have two copies of everything on it. That's redundancy. What you want sounds more like infinite recursion!

Anyway, as a lot of others have said I keep two backups as well ... Time Machine (which I had some issues with in the early days, but haven't had a problem in years now), and a Carbon Copy Clone onto a second unit (a bootable clone makes troubleshooting easier, and stands in when I want to "nuke and pave" the boot drive for optimization purposes). So I have double redundancy.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Aperture Slideshow for TV | Make Mail not autocorrect two words »