Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   iTunes - cannot 'add' to my library? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/306768-itunes-cannot-add-my-library.html)

RadDave 12-15-2013 05:52 PM

iTunes - cannot 'add' to my library?

Today, iTunes (11.1.3) refuses to let me 'add' a recording which I just downloaded from Classics Online - placed into their subfolder (have accumulated nearly 20 over the years) in my 'Music' folder - bought another CD (all MP3 files) from them a few weeks ago and imported into iTunes then burned to a CD-R - nothing really has changed on my MBPro in that interval.

My routine is to add these DL MP3 recordings to the iTunes library, and then make a playlist which I burn to a CD-R - whether I use the file menu option or try to 'drag & drop' the new recordings are not added; tried to even add some already imported ones w/o success. I 'Force Closed' the program & rebooted the computer (and signed out & in to the store) - none of the maneuvers helped.

Now I was able to 'burn' the 2 folders (2 discs DL) just using Finder and the CD-R played fine on my stereo - so files are OK. Other than re-installing iTunes, any other suggestions from users of this oft finicky Apple program? Thanks - Dave :)

cradom 12-15-2013 07:34 PM

How exactly are you adding them? Drag and drop into the window?

RadDave 12-15-2013 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom (Post 1556678)
How exactly are you adding them? Drag and drop into the window?

Hi Craig - just what I've been doing for a number of years (first on my Dell laptop & now on the MBPro) - the routine shown in the pic is to simply open 'File' then pick 'Add to Library' - the music folder opens which allows selection of the files/folders to place into the iTunes library - has worked fine in the past - now not behaving in the same way? On searching the web, this has been a complaint but w/o a good solution? Thanks for responding - Dave :)

P.S. tried 'drag & drop' several ways w/o success - :(

cradom 12-16-2013 04:33 AM

Guess I cant be much help, I just tried it and it worked. Your files don't have some kind of DRM do they?

RadDave 12-16-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom (Post 1556761)
Guess I cant be much help, I just tried it and it worked. Your files don't have some kind of DRM do they?

Thanks again - well, that method has worked fine for me up until the other day; no DRM concerns w/ Classics Online nor w/ Amazon (the 2 places that I usually obtain my MP3 music).

At this point since I now rarely buy or rip music, I'll just wait for the next iTunes update and/or will reinstall the program - but I can still burn CD-Rs w/o a problem, so not that much of a deal for me. Dave :)

RadDave 12-20-2013 12:59 PM

Thought that I would just add my experiences about this issue since my last post - the problem, i.e. importing my music into the iTunes library has still not been resolved, but these are some new observations:

1. In searching the web, there are many complaints of this problem happening to others (and in various versions of iTunes) - few positive solutions (if any) could be found.

2. Upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.1 did not help - will likely await the next iTunes update and if not corrective, then consider a re-install - fortunately the need for this to function is minor - I can still 'burn' my MP3 files to CD-Rs.

3. Also, I can make a 'Playlist' in iTunes and drag my MP3 folders there - the playlist can be burned to an optical disc; I can also transfer my music w/ this playlist to my iPod Touch.

So, I've found plenty of viable 'work arounds' - but wanted to update this thread in case others w/ a similar issue 'chimes in' here - Dave :)

cradom 12-20-2013 02:03 PM

Can you import ANY music no matter what source? If not, have you checked permissions on the Music folder and folders in that? Specifically, ~/Music/ITunes/ITunes Media/Music

RadDave 12-20-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom (Post 1557644)
Can you import ANY music no matter what source? If not, have you checked permissions on the Music folder and folders in that? Specifically, ~/Music/ITunes/ITunes Media/Music

Hi again Craig - thanks for your interest - as described in my other post, I was able to make a 'Playlist' and then drag those 2 folders into iTunes - now the music is in the Music Folder of the app - I'm assuming that it was placed there after I did the 'drag & drop' - the only way I can determine that is to order another MP3 recording online - I'll give it a try later.

Now, I just opened iTunes and ripped a CD - as usual, it was imported into the iTunes library - I just had to add the cover art (which has also been my routine in the past).

SO, let me work on this further (may have just had a 'brain F&*T') - thanks, Dave :)