New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Onyx - removal & install of Mavericks version?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Hello All - put the Mtn Lion version of Onyx on my MBPro a few months ago and never got through the tutorial - now w/ Mavericks installed, a new OS-specific version 2.8.1 is available HERE w/ a beta offering, which I'll not want to try.

First, from the information below (Apple Support Communities) - removing the Mtn Lion version is simply an icon drag to the trash & deletion of a few orphaned files - on my HD, I can only find the 'com.titanium.OnyX.plist' - any other concerns?

Second, for those who have been using Onyx for Mavericks, are there any issues/bugs/etc. that one should be concerned about? Thanks for any comments - Dave

Quote:
You are correct in that Onyx is version specific.

The additional orthaned files you need to find and remove if you have just dragged to trash are at: ~/Library/Preferences

com.titanium.OnyX.plist
com.titanium.OnyX.plist.lockfile

plus: ~/Library/Cashes

com.titanium.Onyx
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

I use AppCleaner. It does a good job of finding files that just dragging apps to the trash leaves behind.
I have used the Mavericks version of Onyx on two machines without problems.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

@Dave:

Go back to their website and download the OnyX uninstaller app. You can't remove OnyX completely with AppCleaner.

Also, the new version, 2.8.1 works great with Mavericks. Give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
@Dave:

Go back to their website and download the OnyX uninstaller app. You can't remove OnyX completely with AppCleaner.
Once again I've learned something new.
Thanks chscag
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
@Dave:

Also, the new version, 2.8.1 works great with Mavericks. Give it a try.
Thanks Chscag - I'll return to the Titanium website and take a look - got the Mavericks version in my DLs, so just need to get the other removed. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
Thanks Chscag - I'll return to the Titanium website and take a look - got the Mavericks version in my DLs, so just need to get the other removed. Dave
Well, I visited the Titanium Website and could not find a specific app to remove my old Mtn Lion version on my Mavericks computer (and doubt that a DL of the DMG file for Mtn Lion would have helped)? So what to do?

I joined the forum and left a post - received an almost immediate response (will donate soon) - attached is from the 'Administrator' - answer simply to drag the old icon to trash - did so, and installed the 'Mavericks' version which seem to work fine.

Just my experience and hope that others are helped by this experience - Dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 10.34.08 PM.png (192.1 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

That's good news Dave. I guess the newer version(s) of OnyX no longer need the uninstaller. I still have a copy of their uninstaller in my Applications folder. Good to know it's no longer needed.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

Quote:
That's good news Dave. I guess the newer version(s) of OnyX no longer need the uninstaller. I still have a copy of their uninstaller in my Applications folder. Good to know it's no longer needed.
Well, seemed simple enough to me and had read a number of earlier posts in the forum and the recommendations were about the same, so must not be much 'extra' files (if any except for the plist ones) stored - LOVE those kinds of programs - reminds me of the old DOS days before the registry, i.e. just delete the folder! HAPPY.

I sent them 10 Euros as a contribution - BTW, they have several other apps - Maintenance & Deeper - are these worth exploring? Thanks again - Dave
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I like the Mavericks OnyX having the ability to reset the ACL's of my Startup drive. Not sure if its been in other versions, but i needed to reset my Permissions and OnyX came through for me, after telling me the Drive needed Repairing. Im thinking of ditching MainMenu that i have been using for the last 4 yrs and move on to OnyX now . . . MainMenu has become too commercial and HATE the UI and UX now (

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Maintenance & Deeper are scaled down versions of the two different feature sets of Onyx.

Ex. Maintenance only offers what is the 'Automation' tab in Onyx.

Hence our recommendation here for Onyx.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac App Store disappointment | DVD to iMovie »