New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari 7 won't remember my Mac-Forums username and password

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

matrixbud

matrixbud is on a distinguished road

I have checked the box in Autofill preferences for User names and passwords. I have even installed the autocomplete extension that supposedly fixed this problem for Safari 6 and earlier. I can use 1Password to enter this information for me but I want Safari to just remember it. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Also, I have examined both Safari Passwords (in Safari preferences) and Keychain Access, and this web site is not listed in either place.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

When you logged in did you check the box remember me on this website?
Also if you reset Safari you will have to re-enter passwords.
QUOTE Thanks
matrixbud

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I checked the box to remember me.

I havent, and hope not to have to, reset Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Make sure you do not have Private Browsing checked in Safari Preferences.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

If "Private Browsing" isn't the problem, then can you provide a link to that "autocomplete" extension? And any other extensions/add-ons you may be using, especially related to cookies? I have a cookie manager in which I have this and several other sites whitelisted so my login stays saved.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
alicepattinson

alicepattinson is on a distinguished road

You can also use LastPass to remember your passwords.
QUOTE Thanks
matrixbud

Thanks, all, for the replies. Here are responses to your items.

1. I do not have Private Browsing checked.
2. I just now installed LastPass but that doesn't work for this site. LastPass requires email addresses as logins, and this forum doesn’t use email addresses. I tried to use it for the password only, but it still required an email address for login.
3. I access the forums web pages at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/log...d430f34e731fe4, enter my login info, log in and then out, and the login name and password remain blank. I also tried logging in from the home page, Mac Forum & Discussions on Apple Products and Services.
4. I have quite a few extensions so I turned off extensions in Safari preferences. I also used GlimmerBlocker (a system preference/launch agent/launch daemon) and I reinstall and finally disabled it along with the extensions. I also found several older add-ons in Application Support and deleted them. None of this helped.
5. I still use Safari Cookies, found in Application Support. I didn't try disabling it because I'm not sure I wish to lose several years of data that it has collected. Maybe it just recreates data as needed, I’m not sure. I suppose I could disable it as a last resort.

So, I'm still at a loss.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

bump due to moderation

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixbud View Post
5. I still use Safari Cookies, found in Application Support. I didn't try disabling it because I'm not sure I wish to lose several years of data that it has collected. Maybe it just recreates data as needed, I’m not sure. I suppose I could disable it as a last resort.
I use Safari Cookies myself (are you on the latest, 1.9.8?). It sounds like you know what you are doing, but.... you do have the cookie for mac-forums.com set as a favorite, right? You should also try removing all non-favorites for laughs. Worst case scenario, you may have to try uninstalling Safari Cookies and start over. Something is blocking the forum's cookie from being saved.

Here's something to try. You said you don't see the login stored in Keychain Access? Double-check: open it up; select "Passwords" from the Category panel; then enter mac-forum in the search box. If it still definitely isn't there, then run Keychain First Aid from the menu.

Also download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. Perhaps there's some weird permissions bug here, or a faulty cache item.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto 11.9.5 | Text box linking on latest version of Pages »