New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Wifi Mapping App?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

north_guy

north_guy is on a distinguished road

Is anyone familiar with a good wifi mapping app? I have set up wifi over a large area of coverage with two time capsules and two airport expresses. I would like to map out the coverage for each 'station' to ensure they are all appropriately placed to ensure full coverage and maximum efficiency. My coworker has a couple of different ones on his android which we have used and I've tried to find one in the App Store but can't find one.

Thanks a bunch
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Will this help https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/it-t...324054954?mt=8 or https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nets...14951692?mt=12 from the Mac App Store ??

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
north_guy

Wow thanks for the quick reply. The Mac App Store wouldn't work because I would need portability to map out the area and test network strength, ie my ipad. Have you tried the first choice you linked? Any comments on it, will it fill my noted needs?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

No i haven't used it personally, but it does say Displays the current mapping of IP addresses to hardware (MAC) addresses. as well as
interface
• All network interfaces on your device
• Network statistics updated in real time
• Current WiFi and WWAN IP Address
• WiFi SSID and BSSID

So to me, that says that it gives you a whole look at your WHOLE network and should do what you need. IT Tools has 5 Stars on the iTunes store so it is good at what it does, but for $4 its worth the try. Dang i would even gift it to you if $ was the problem

When you say the 2nd link wouldn't work, i presume that means you have a iMac, as that would be perfect for your need, if you had a portable.

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
north_guy

You guessed right, can't be hauling my 27" iMac all over the compound and don't have a laptop currently

I will give that first one a try, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
GeoFan49

GeoFan49 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB iPad 1 Wi-Fi iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE

I'm wondering why there is no wifi mapping app for iOS.

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of any post, next to permalink. Spread the karma!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Wifi scanners/sniffers (signal strength, SSIDs etc) used to be allowed on the app store but all were withdrawn several months ago.

If you do have a friend with a MacBook that Netspot app works very well.

The other, less scientific method, would be to use a speedtest app at various points around the house. You could also forge the network on your iPad and then try to join it from various points around the place.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari AutoFill Window is Stuck | Reformatting Old Software Documents in Word »