New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iphoto dead

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brownphone

Brownphone is on a distinguished road

My iphoto has decided to play dead. It is there is Applications and all photo files are complete but it refuses to open on screen although it is running. I've reset everything in file utilities and reloaded from the applications disk but no joy. Once it is running it will not shut down except by force quit and it stops the computer shutting down if this isn't done. Any ideas welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownphone View Post
My iphoto has decided to play dead. It is there is Applications and all photo files are complete but it refuses to open on screen although it is running. I've reset everything in file utilities and reloaded from the applications disk but no joy. Once it is running it will not shut down except by force quit and it stops the computer shutting down if this isn't done. Any ideas welcome.
May take a bit to sort through, but first we need more info:

1) Year, Model and Make of your Mac
2) OS X version
3) iPhoto version
4) Antivirurs or other software you are running
5) Hard Disk free space
6) Anything else that might help, especially what immediately preceded onset of your problem

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

It is an iMac 9,1 bought new in June 2009 running OSX 10.6.8. The iPhoto was pre-installed and I can't access the version it is running. The anti-virus is Sophos Version 8.0.20C. There is 824GB available on the hard drive. The only thing that I can think of that preceded the problem was that the camera (Sony) memory was difficult to eject from the desktop, but this had happened several times before without incident.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Before we do anything else, try this (if you haven't already). Create a new library, then try shutting down iPhoto to see if it still hangs.

iPhoto '11: Create a new iPhoto library or switch between libraries

If you can open iPhoto in a new library without the problems you describe, then you may have a corrupted iPhoto Library file.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

I've created a new library but still no joy I'm afraid. iPhoto doesn't respond at all and will not shut down unless I use force quit applications. If I don't force quit, iPhoto prevents the computer shut down.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Download Onyx (link below for the version for Snow Leopard). Run it and see if it corrects the problem. If not, I would suggest deleting iPhoto (this won't affect your Library or photos) then download the OS X Combo Update and run that.

OnyX 2.4 Download

Link to Combo Update
http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

EDIT: After running the Combo Update (if Onyx doesn't fix things) I would download iPhoto from the Mac AppStore.
Running the Combo Update will overwrite potentially corrupted files and often fixes problems

QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

Right - I've run Onyx and this hasn't corrected the problem. I've downloaded the combo update, but I haven't deleted iPhoto as yet. Can you please advise how to do this? Is it as simple as dragging the icon from Apps to Trash? Would I be better advised to abandon trying to save iPhoto and instead simply buy iLife?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Right - I've run Onyx and this hasn't corrected the problem. I've downloaded the combo update, but I haven't deleted iPhoto as yet. Can you please advise how to do this? Is it as simple as dragging the icon from Apps to Trash? Would I be better advised to abandon trying to save iPhoto and instead simply buy iLife?
Just dragging iPhoto to trash should do it. Don't think there are any extraneous files (plist etc) to worry about. Running Combo Update afterwards should overwrite any corrupted files. And, I would download iPhoto from the Mac App Store.
I don't remember actually being charged for it, but still, probably worth $15 to fix the problem (assuming it does).

EDIT: FWIW you could probably try running Combo Update without deleting iPhoto first to see if your problem goes away. You save $15 dollars that way

EDIT2: I am assuming when you created a new Library you followed the steps in the Link I gave you, but your system still got hung up

QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

Moved iPhoto to Trash, ran the Combo Update, reloaded iPhoto from applications disc and still it is playing dead. If I right click on JPG file and use "Open with..." it doesn't give iPhoto as an option. If I go to "Other" and select iPhoto nothing happens. Something, somewhere is blocking it completely. I have to assume that neither the photo library nor the iPhoto app is at fault so it has to be something in the OS. Do you think upgrading to Mountain Lion will get round this? Incidentally my thanks for your help - I am most grateful. Andrew.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Moved iPhoto to Trash, ran the Combo Update, reloaded iPhoto from applications disc and still it is playing dead. If I right click on JPG file and use "Open with..." it doesn't give iPhoto as an option. If I go to "Other" and select iPhoto nothing happens. Something, somewhere is blocking it completely. I have to assume that neither the photo library nor the iPhoto app is at fault so it has to be something in the OS. Do you think upgrading to Mountain Lion will get round this? Incidentally my thanks for your help - I am most grateful. Andrew.
The Combo Update should have fixed any OS related problems. Mountain Lion shouldn't make any difference. You might want to consider an upgrade to Mavericks anyway, but that's a separate discussion.
I would suspect a problem on your application disk and the iPhoto app on it.
If downloading iPhoto from the Mac App Store doesn't fix your problem, then I'm out of ideas at the moment, with one last thing to try.
Doing a PRAM and SMC reset will sometimes fix strange problems. I don't know that it will help here, but won't hurt to try.

Here are the links

Reseting PRAM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Reseting SMC Controller
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

I have done as you suggest and reset NVRAM and SMC Controller - again no joy. I could upgrade to Mavericks to see what happens but you seem to suggest that this is another issue - however, it is free and it might be a good idea anyway - any advice in this respect? I could then get a new iPhoto version or change to iLife or indeed use any photo app. I use this Mac for work exclusively and I am due to update to a new 27" iMac when one becomes available in the New Year so I don't really want to spend a fortune on this machine if I can help it. I would like it to work though as I will pass it on to daughter. Andrew.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Sorry it didn't work out . . . I'm at a loss as to what is causing your problem.

On upgrading to Mavericks, your iMac is well capable. May want to look at boosting RAM depending on how much you already installed. You can run up to 8GB in that version.

Only issue would be compatibility of older software packages (if you are running any) with Mavericks.
And, always a good idea to backup your HD first.

QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

You and me both - it's a complete mystery. On Mavericks - this Mac has 4GB RAM and no software prior to Word/Excel 2008. I have a permanent Time Machine back-up so no problem there. I think I'll try Mavericks - it can't do any harm, and if iPhoto still won't work I'll get iLife from the Mac store. I'll let you know the outcome! Again thanks Andrew.
QUOTE Thanks
Brownphone

Mavericks downloaded and installed - this time no Finder! What on earth am I doing wrong? If I open Finder the Toolbar is normal - the minute I click on anything to try to open it the toolbar dims and that's it. It seems there have been a lot of problems with Mavericks so I've tried updating and checking the various forums but nothing seems to work - any ideas? Andrew.
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Did you update or do a clean install?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail issues | Screen saver with virtual screens »