New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Upgrading from Office 2004 to Office 2011?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GeoFan49

GeoFan49 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB • iPad 1 Wi-Fi • iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE •

Running Word 2004 for Mac Version 11.2 and Excel 2004 Version 11.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 for a long time. Just bought Office: Mac 2011 Home and Student. Using the 27-character PIN online gave me the 25-character Product Key, and downloaded the (1.04 GB) MacOffice2011wSP2_English.dmg file.

I have been looking (online) to find out what (if anything) that I need to do before doing the upgrade.

I have done a Time Machine backup, and the backup drive is now offline for safe keeping, until the update process is all done and well tested for a day or two, as a precaution.

Should I just go ahead and boldly open the .dmg file? Or, are there any recommended steps to prepare for that? The Office 2004 came from my previous employer who provided the software for my use but I have no idea what the old product key is. I guess that I won't be needing that, since I have just purchased Office 2011 and hopefully won't ever need to go back to Office 2004.

(Currently running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 15" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB boot drive.)

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of any post, next to permalink. Spread the karma!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Office 2004 and Office 2011 can co-exist together, however, the default will be setup for Office 2011 to open Word, Powerpoint, and Excel files. You can uninstall Office 2004 if you wish but do it before installing Office 2011. Another thing... Office 2004 will not run in Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks since it is a PPC application.
QUOTE Thanks
GeoFan49

GeoFan49 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB • iPad 1 Wi-Fi • iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE •

Hey chscag, thanks! Just what I needed to know. +1 chscag

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of any post, next to permalink. Spread the karma!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting Quicken with Current Database Working in Mavericks | iphoto: manage keywords greyed out »