New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Import Gmail and Yahoo Address Books to Mail?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cerberuspuppy

cerberuspuppy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook MB061LL/A 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive

I really thought Mail would automatically import the address books from my Yahoo and Gmail accounts when I synched them, but it didn't. Why not? Other apps can do that, including the one that came with my Kindle. How do I do this? Is there any easy way or is it going to be a huge pain?

Gmail remembers everyone who has ever contacted me.

I suppose I can continue to just use the accounts themselves on their respective sites, but there are advantages to having a dedicated app to manage email. For one- no ads.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Assuming you're running mavericks, click on System Preferences, Internet Accounts.
Add Gmail if it's not there already. Then select what you want to sync.
And/Or open Contacts. Under the Contacts menu, select Accounts. Add Gmail.

Would be helpful if you would put your Mac specs in your info.
<<< like here.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
cerberuspuppy

cerberuspuppy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook MB061LL/A 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive

I'm not. It's an old Macbook running 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Open the Address book application - Preferences - Under Accounts you can choose Yahoo and Google accounts to sync with.

The reason mail doesn't do it on it's own is because contact information can be used for various things (birthday reminders, email, postal address lists etc) so they aren't just tied to email.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail - Searching Sent folder | Stick with Chrome? »