New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Billed by iTunes for AirDrop Transfer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

This is an odd one, yet it gives an insight into how sophisticated the Apple accounts system is today.
I purchased an app from the App Store to trial called AirMail, my wife expressed some interest in trying it too.
It was only $1.99 but our ISP was very slow that day so I right clicked on the app in my Applications folder and found I could "Share" the app either by mail, iMessage or Airdrop. I elected to use AirDrop. We set it up on my wife's laptop and low and behold today I received an invoice from iTunes for a purchase of the app.
My question is this; who owns my wife's copy? I've looked in her Purchases and it's not there, and I appear to have only one copy of the app in my Purchases.
It was never my intention to get a free copy, just let my wife try it on one of her accounts with the assumption that she would buy it if she liked it and trash it if she didn't.
Now it seems I have made two purchases of the same app and my wife has an app she doesn't own.
Now what?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

It doesn't really matter since once you buy an app from the App Store, it can be downloaded again and again for installation on all the Macs you own. Unless you're saying that the Mac your wife has is not owned by you. I would think that you both jointly own the Macs.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I wonder why he was charged a 2nd time for the app when he just Airdropped it to his Wives system? That has me wondering. I have not messed with Airdrop at all.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree Dennis. I believe he should not have been charged for the Air Drop because he could have downloaded a second copy for free. I realize it's only a $1.99 app, but suppose he did the same thing with a more expensive app? I think Apple owes him a refund for the Air Drop copy.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I agree guys. This is interesting.

@OP I realize this is a small amount of money but it might be worth contacting Apple to see why you were charged anything. As the guys pointed out it could easily have been a more expensive app.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I wonder why he was charged a 2nd time for the app when he just Airdropped it to his Wives system? That has me wondering. I have not messed with Airdrop at all.
Yes that has me thinking too. Not that I was trying to rip off the app I just don't understand how they knew I'd done that. Anyhow my wife really likes it so we're happy to pay for it, maybe I should have just Duplicated it and copied it on to a flash card.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
I agree guys. This is interesting.

@OP I realize this is a small amount of money but it might be worth contacting Apple to see why you were charged anything. As the guys pointed out it could easily have been a more expensive app.
Yep on principal I dont feel that I should have been charged a second time because as has been said, we do own our laptops jointly, in fact I purchased my wife's laptop in my name with my credit card in Singapore 2 years ago so I could argue that it belongs to me.

The catch is that when I clicked on the link "Report a Problem" in the iTunes invoice and login with my Apple ID and I get this message, "This feature is not currently available in your country or region. Try again later." Nice huh?

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

OK guys now I'm really confused. I managed to contact iTunes support by changing my country back to my home country (Australia) currently in Indonesia.

I logged into iTunes and checked my Purchase History and as stated only one purchase for the app shows up dated the 01/11/13.
Here's the thing though, the second invoice has the same order number and the same invoice number but is dated 03/11/13.

This is what I sent to iTunes Support;

On 01/11/13 I purchased an app from App Store and received an invoice for the above order number.
Yesterday I shared the app to another laptop computer I own via Air Drop. This morning I received a second invoice for the same purchase, same order number, same invoice number but dated 03/11/13.
Have I been charged twice, or is this duplication?
How could transferring an app I own via Air Drop between two computers I own initiate a second invoice?
Sorry for the wall of text.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The only reason I can see you being charged is if you both have different AppleIDs in iTunes/MacAppStore.

If that's the case there will be a second charge. Whether the sender gets billed as 'gifting' the app or the receiver gets billed as the purchaser is another question.

But the bottom line - if you both use the same AppleID in iTunes/MacAppStore you shouldn't be charged.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacMail New Account Connects to Server Without SSL Transmits Password in Plain Text | Excel pros and cons template »