New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

What is TechTool Pro doing the background?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lloyd709

lloyd709 is on a distinguished road

I know TechTool Pro can recover files, test performance and stuff like that but it seems to do a lot of processing in the background and take writes a lot of stuff to disk. So, in English, what's it actually doing and is it really worth it. I backup my disk very regularly and from past experience when things go wrong with disks, they really go wrong and it's generally back to backup time. So basically, can someone tell me why I should keep it running?
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

I have no clue what TechTool pro does in the background and since you don't know either, you might as well remove it. Why run an application if you don't know what the purpose is or even know that you need it or not.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Have to agree with member McBie. If something's not broken why run Tech Tool Pro as it's just using memory and likely slowing things down? Make sure you remove it from your startup items or login items so that it does not start up automatically when you start your machine.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

TTP should not be running unless set up as chscag advises. It sits dormant like other Utilities until you activate it to do its thing.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
lloyd709

lloyd709 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys

That was my feeling as well. I only installed it to see if it could do anything with a broken disk I had. I've got a horrid feeling though that it's going to be quite hard to uninstall! I hate software like this. I thought I'd get round the problem if I could find out it was doing something useful but I can't find anything that say's what it's actually doing.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I have not run TTP regularly in a while. Got the new version cheap recently but haven't configured it yet. I suspect that it is updating information about the directory structure of mounted disks. I'll check as soon as I can and let you know.

Previous versions did not generate a lot of unnecessary activity though.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have a look at the last post in this thread. In TPT forums problems such as you are experiencing are usually fixed with a reboot:-

https://www.micromat.com/component/k...pro-for-nowook at the last post on this thread for uninstalling.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Word 2011 -- problems with compatibility mode -- text disappears then reappears | iTunes opening? »