New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

CleanMyMac2 - Any Good?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

MacWorld is having a "special" on CleanMyMac2. The only Mac I own is a MacBookPro running Mountain Lion. Would it be of any value to me? Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Neither "Clean My Mac" or "Clean My Mac 2" are recommended by experienced folks here.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Come on bill,

You've been around long enough and probably read enough threads about those apps making their money (as I like to call it, taking unsuspecting customers hard earned money) from those Windowesque cleaning programs.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Come on bill,

You've been around long enough and probably read enough threads about those apps making their money (as I like to call it, taking unsuspecting customers hard earned money) from those Windowesque cleaning programs.
Ha ha...I was thinking the same thing. You should know better Bill!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Seabird

Seabird is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the wise counsel on misspent $$ on CleanMyMac. Is there any value in having TrendMicro security products onboard?
Thanks

Side note on Mavericks-
First time going though install after downloading the 10.9 got the the Big Yellow Triangle saying install failed and HardDrive was irreparably damaged. Shut down my late 2009 macbook pro and when rebooted installed loaded fine and seems totally fine.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
Appreciate the wise counsel on misspent $$ on CleanMyMac. Is there any value in having TrendMicro security products onboard?
Thanks
In my opinion, no. OS X, for some time now, has had its own quiet, rudimentary anti-malware process called XProtect. When a new piece of malware is launched, Apple quietly updates the XProtect DATs and it's negated. Mind you, malware for OS X is few and far between, so running a heavy duty, full time on-access scanner is typically more trouble than it's worth, particularly if you are judicious about entering your admin password when prompted. Additionally, if you are in the habit of keeping Gatekeeper turned on (which is turned on by default), then you have very little need for any sort of third party anti-malware solution.

As far as firewalls and the like - here's my take... if your Mac sits on your home network 24/7/365, then it's already protected by your hardware firewall. Assuming your wireless network is encrypted with real protection (WPA/WPA2), then there's little reason to run a firewall for incoming connections. If you occasionally venture outside of your own network, then by all means, turn on OS X's own firewall.

Lastly, if you want to monitor outgoing traffic, I recommend Little Snitch, which is a long-time favorite of those paranoid Mac users who want to see what applications are talking across the Internet quietly.

Quote:
Side note on Mavericks-
First time going though install after downloading the 10.9 got the the Big Yellow Triangle saying install failed and HardDrive was irreparably damaged. Shut down my late 2009 macbook pro and when rebooted installed loaded fine and seems totally fine.
My bet is that you have bad sectors and they were allocated out of the partition map during the process. When you re-ran, those sectors had likely been negated and allowed the install. With that said, you definitely want to keep that drive backed up and eventually, consider replacing it. Bad sectors tend to spread over time.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Plots in octave don't work | iMovie text not showing the line before. »