New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iBooks on Mavericks only syncs purchased books?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fiery

fiery is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMAC 3ghz Intel Core i3 OSX 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBernie View Post
Actually, you can load the PDF into iBooks for on Maverick, then then sync your iPhone. Ensure you have your iPhone set to sync all books. It should then sync from iBooks to your iPhone.
I have the pdf in iBooks with some other books.
I dont see a setting on my iPhone for sync all books but I have that set in iTunes on my iMac.
I did a wifi sync and my pdf still wont go onto my iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Here is a work around i found, if you don't use DropBox ~ Open In . . . .

Firstly ensure that you can see your iPad (or iPhone/iPod) in iTunes as an available device. Now from the Finder locate the folder which contains the books (pdf's) that you want to copy to the device and drag and drop the file from that location onto the device in iTunes. The device should hi-light when you drag the file over it. Once the device highlights and + icon appears below the title(s) you are copying release the mouse button and the books will then be copied to the device.

Care of JamieD in the Aust Macworld forums

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
fiery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Here is a work around i found, if you don't use DropBox ~ Open In . . . .

Firstly ensure that you can see your iPad (or iPhone/iPod) in iTunes as an available device. Now from the Finder locate the folder which contains the books (pdf's) that you want to copy to the device and drag and drop the file from that location onto the device in iTunes. The device should hi-light when you drag the file over it. Once the device highlights and + icon appears below the title(s) you are copying release the mouse button and the books will then be copied to the device.
When I try to drag it into itunes it wont let me drop it in.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
Make sure they are in iBooks before hand. . .

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
fiery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Make sure they are in iBooks before hand. . .
Yes it is.
QUOTE Thanks
zBernie

zBernie can only hope to improve

Quote:
I have the pdf in iBooks with some other books.
I dont see a setting on my iPhone for sync all books but I have that set in iTunes on my iMac.
I did a wifi sync and my pdf still wont go onto my iPhone.

Let me clarify -- Drag and drop the PDF into iBooks, then in iTunes, select the iPhone, then select Books, then ensure sync all books is checked. Then sync and the PDF should be sync'd to your iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
fiery

The problem is since i upgraded to mavericks itunes looks different and wont let me drag pdf's into it.
QUOTE Thanks
zBernie

zBernie can only hope to improve

Quote:
The problem is since i upgraded to mavericks itunes looks different and wont let me drag pdf's into it.
The point is you don't need to drag them to iTunes, drag them to iBooks, ensure our iPhone in iTunes is configured to sync books, then sync.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Yes it is.
This was from another member in another forum and i just tried it and it doesn't work for me either.

QUOTE Thanks
fiery

Quote:
The point is you don't need to drag them to iTunes, drag them to iBooks, ensure our iPhone in iTunes is configured to sync books, then sync.
It is in iBooks.
It is configured to sync books in iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
This is OK if you want to sync your iDevice, as like me, i haven't done a sync since god knows when. I like to manually control everything and the work around above and the Options to have checked and not checked below is a work around.

Quote:
This is from JamieD and how it works for him, and i just confirmed it, and this seems like the easiest way, So . . . .

Quote:
Quote:
Hmmm that's odd TM as it works fine for me on both our iPad and my iPhone, one thing that I do have set up on both devices is that under the summary tab I have the "Manually manage music and videos" option checked as well as this under the "Books" section for the device the "Sync Books" option is not checked, which may be why this works for me. I never have anything Sync automatically as I prefer to manage what is on each device manually
Hope that explains it a little better

QUOTE Thanks
fiery

So its done different now. I dragged the pdf from my desktop to iTunes 'on this iphone' section and it dropped in then processed right over to my phone.
QUOTE Thanks
rjb2013

rjb2013 is on a distinguished road

you can still synchronize pdfs and other ebooks you did not purchase from the ibooks store.

It's just a bit hidden, you don't synchronize form ibooks for mac but from iTunes as before.

You do not have the books link on the left anymore, so do the following:
  1. Click on the device (iPad or iPhone).
  2. Select the books tab
  3. all your books are there, select "sync books" and then either all the books or selected one.
  4. you are done
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

I thought to myself, bugger this, if i want to read a .pdf on my Mac, the sort that I'm using in iBooks, i really want the full experience in the iBooks Reader and not Preview and i don't want to read them in .pdf format on my iPad Mini either, so, i went and downloaded calibre - Download for OS X which i did once before a long time ago, and back then couldn't seem to work it out, but now, i have just Batch Converted 5 50mb+ PDF's into ePub Format with Covers and now i can read them as if they are a book instead of a boring .pdf.

Calibre now works well and easy to use. I basically opened it up, then in the Menu bar, picked "Add Books" and added my 5 .pdf's, and then selected them all by Highlighting them, then back to the Menu Bar, and selected "Convert Books" and Bulk Convert, and went and wrote a couple posts in a forum and 10mins later it was done.
So this is another way to do it, and have them in a book format, which is so much better to read then a PDF

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm not having any problem with PDFs syncing in iBooks 1.0.1. I can't remember now if I had to re-add the PDFs and non-iBooks e-books into the iBooks program or not, but they're all there now and they sync to my iPad and iPhone just like they always did.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« emoticons | Mplabx »