New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

reply address seems to be stripped from my outgoing email

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emagine1979

emagine1979 is on a distinguished road

I've had this problem for a long time now and yet to find a solution.

When I send mail (using Apple Mail on OSX 10.7.5), in particular to larger corporates with mail filtering systems, it will always reach its destination but sometimes when the recipient replies, my actual reply address is stripped and it replaced by a combination of my name and the mail server domain name. Unusually, it will often get to me, but to the sender, it looks like they have sent to another address and doesn't look very professional.

I'll try to give an example.

- my email address is peter@mydomain.ie
- my reply address should be peter@mydomain.ie
- I send an email to a work contact. They reply to my email
- I receive their email but it looks like they sent it to peter@mxfilter.serverxyz.com
- Another symptom is that, depending on the mail client they are using, the 'from' field appears empty in their inbox.

Things I've tried (unsuccessfully)...

- Changed from Thunderbird mail to Apple Mail, same problem
- Checked with other users in the office, similar configs, but no-one else has same problem
- I usually manually add the 'reply to' address when composing emails now, this appears to help but not will all networks.

I'm very confused, I try tackle the problem every few weeks and then give up.

Any advice would be great and rewarded with virtual hugs and cups of tea :-)

thanks!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Colours in Calendar | iTunes won't open »