M. Outlook 2011 wants to download 3,500 emails
    My Outlook wants to download 3,500 emails all of a sudden. I tried rebuilding the database but it still wants to download them all. What should I do please? (Microsoft Outlook 2011, Mountain Lion Macbook Air)

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Download from where? Is it configured to use POP or IMAP? Are these messages that weren't downloaded before?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

I have a POP account. These are old messages from outlook. I stop them as soon as I see them coming. Paul

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP win 10
    Is there a setting in Outlook that says "Leave messages on server" or somesuch?
    Might want to un-check it. You'll still download them but then if you delete them they'll be gone.
    Delusions are often functional. A motherís opinions about her childrenís beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    A better action would be to access your mail account directly at the server and remove the mail from there. (If desired.) As member cradom points out you may be leaving your mail on the server after it's downloaded. I do that also as a backup for my mail in case I should lose a particular mail item. However, you do need to access your account on the server every so often and clean it out.

Thanks for very prompt advice.

I can't find anything about leaving messages on the server in Outlook, but I like to keep a backup there in any case.

I don't understand what you mean by 'cleaning out the server'.

I have fortunately found a backup of the database on Time Machine just three days old and have defaulted to that as it looks like it could be a difficult problem.

Many thanks for both of your assistance.

Paul

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by paultilling View Post
    My Outlook wants to download 3,500 emails all of a sudden. I tried rebuilding the database but it still wants to download them all. What should I do please? (Microsoft Outlook 2011, Mountain Lion Macbook Air)
    I have this happen occasionally on my computers with my various e-mail accounts. I believe that it's simply a rebuild of the e-mail database (saved old e-mails).

I have had this happen on a computer that is "new to me" with a fresh install of the OS & e-mail apps. And on existing/established computers (from time to time).

Plus if Outlook was freshly installed on an established computer...it would be necessary to rebuild the e-mail database. Otherwise immediate access to older/saved e-mails would not be possible.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I don't understand what you mean by 'cleaning out the server'.
    By leaving your email messages on the server, they will soon accumulate to the point where it will be difficult to find anything in case you do need to find something as a backup.

What I suggested above is to access your account on the server and go thru your messages and remove the ones you no longer need or perhaps are out of date.

Thanks again everyone! I had forgotten to mention that I had of course tried rebuilding the database and I tried that several times but it had no effect. Anyway all's well that ends well. Paul

Thread Information