Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   cleanmasterapp.com (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/303999-cleanmasterapp-com.html)

adrian1944 10-04-2013 06:55 AM

cleanmasterapp.com

I keep getting a pop-up window from cleanmasterapp.com that tells me I'm entitled to a free product. I can't get rid of it other than by opening the link. When I open the link I sometimes lose what I've been doing. How do I get rid of this thing?

TattooedMac 10-04-2013 07:51 AM

Hope you can understand, but im not going to go to the link you have posted, as your a new member with 1 post, and to me it screams SPAM, so if you can give us more info like what Mac you have, what OS you have on said Mac, what Browser your using, and what happens exactly when you get it, we might be able to help you, but to go to that site, just to get site look numbers up, i cant do that and hope you can understand.

Cheers

bobtomay 10-04-2013 08:19 AM

The app is an android only app. The url returns a 404 page.

So not only do you need to provide the info TM requested, but when are you getting this pop up... is this a browser pop up window or is this related to some other OS X application you have installed?

If in a browser - I would suggest you quit visiting whatever site it is that has that annoying pop up.

In this case, sort of doubt it, but If spam, it'll be gone soon enough ;)

adrian1944 10-04-2013 08:26 AM

I have a Mac OSX Version 10.6.8.
I'm using Chrome.
The window pops up on the page I'm using.
It happens in various things I'm doing - playing a game, checking the news, etc.

beedubz 10-06-2013 04:16 AM

Cleanmasterapp

I have a windows 7 PC but I also have the pop up. Can only find 2 forums about it and both are very recent so there isn't any info on it. I did a system scan on my computer and some adware was deleted but the cleanmasterapp pop up remains. It appears randomly and I have to close the whole browser to get rid of it. I haven't tried clicking on it.

beedubz 10-06-2013 04:18 AM

cleanmasterapp

and I'm also using chrome

cradom 10-06-2013 10:39 AM

Clear your browser cache and cookies. It's possible you picked up a cookie somewhere which is signalling servers and they are feeding this ad/popup to you.

adrian1944 10-07-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cradom (Post 1541491)
Clear your browser cache and cookies. It's possible you picked up a cookie somewhere which is signalling servers and they are feeding this ad/popup to you.

Thank you, cradom. I've done this. Let's see if it does the trick.

adrian1944 10-07-2013 08:49 PM

Nope. That didn't work.

The pop-up reappeared while I was signing in to another forum. I was unable to complete this action till I'd visited the cleanmaster page and closed it.

bobtomay 10-07-2013 09:23 PM

Check your extensions - I'd remove them all to see if it goes away - then add them back one at a time.

cradom 10-07-2013 09:23 PM

I don't know if this is available for Chrome but there is an add-on called BetterPrivacy which gets rid of what's called LSO's (Locally Stored Objects) or Flash cookies. These cookies cannot be gotten rid of like normal cookies and are a pain. You might look into this for Chrome (or start using Firefox. It's better anyway :) j/k)

adrian1944 10-07-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1541793)
Check your extensions - I'd remove them all to see if it goes away - then add them back one at a time.

I don't know how to remove them. My Mac 10.6.8 says I can hide or show extensions, but not remove them.

beedubz 10-07-2013 09:36 PM

getting rid of extensions worked for me! I just deleted them all. thank you very much :)

there is a tab where you also delete history adrian

bobtomay 10-07-2013 09:38 PM

Your Chrome extensions... not OS X extensions.

Open Chrome - then on the menu bar - Window - Extensions

or Chrome - Preferences - Extensions

adrian1944 10-07-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobtomay (Post 1541799)
Your Chrome extensions... not OS X extensions.

Open Chrome - then on the menu bar - Window - Extensions

or Chrome - Preferences - Extensions

OK, I've disabled the extensions I had. Hope this works. It seems to have for beedubz.

I also cleared my history, passwords, the lot.