Thread: Terminal 101-1

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP win 10
    Terminal 101-1
    Welcome to Terminal 101

Back in the day (not that long ago), when Terminal was started, a file was read which put a message on the screen.
    I don't know when Apple did away with it but Mountain Lion doesn't have it. IT is a file in /etc called motd.
    Motd stands for Message Of The Day. Admins used this to send messages to users mainly on text only screens in Unix/Linux etc.
    It was used to state rules for remote login users or notices of maintenance or shutdowns for all users.
    As luck would have I put one in /etc in ML and it still works! So fire up Terminal and follow along.

This will work whether you have a motd file or not. Type: sudo nano /etc/motd
    Or you can
    cd /etc
    sudo nano motd
    If the file is there, nano will open it. If not, nano will create it. Use your login password.
    You should see a window like the one below. Type in whatever message you want your Terminal users to see when they log in.
    Now type control-o to save the file. Control-x to quit nano. You're done! It's that easy. Quit Terminal and restart it.
    Your message will show before the prompt. See second pic.

Stay tuned for more Terminal how-to's as I can do them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Delusions are often functional. A motherís opinions about her childrenís beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Craig:

You need to get together with Van and inquire as to whether he would like to see you write something up in blog format rather than put it here in "Apps......" where it will soon be buried and forgotten.

I personally like the idea of teaching terminal to our users who are interested.

Specs:
    Sounds like an idea. Was unsure whether it would be well received at all so thought I would put out a feeler.
    Delusions are often functional. A motherís opinions about her childrenís beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    2015 rMBP, 2008 iMac, iPhone 6, iPad mini, 13" MBP, AppleTV and two MacMinis
    Worked like a champ, Craig. One tiny point for any terminal rookies, before you do the "sudo nano motd" command "cd /etc" to get into the /etc directory. Otherwise terminal opens in your home directory, so motd will be created there. If that happens you can "mv motd /etc/motd" to get it to the /etc directory.

Specs:
    Guess I had my head up my ...
    Thanks, fixed it!
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by cradom View Post
    Sounds like an idea. Was unsure whether it would be well received at all so thought I would put out a feeler.
    Shoot me a PM and we can sort things out. Would love to have a series of Terminal howtos on the blog. I'll be out of town this weekend so we might have to start the process on Monday.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Filling out the form now.
    -Lazarus Long

Thread Information