New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Slow Word document

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

emilelert

emilelert is on a distinguished road

Hi guys I have a problem with my Mac:Word 2011 which is running extremely slow as in I can't even scroll up and down in the pages properly. It's 61mb and loaded with pictures, its for a brochure. What can i do to fix the slowness
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

That is quite a HEAVY word file you have there..and the heavier the file gets, the clunkier the application is going to get..you might want to rethink your application of choice for what you are trying to do..

Word can get very inefficient when you start loading it up with lot of pictures..there are other programs that are better suited to creating brochures and newsletters and might work out better for you..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
emilelert

Thank you for your reply. Can you give me examples of good programs for this?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Apple Pages would be my recommendation, you can grab it from the Mac App Store for $19.99..

Check out this old video of what you could do with it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilelert View Post
It's 61mb and loaded with pictures, its for a brochure. What can i do to fix the slowness
At that size, nothing.

61MB, as Raz0r mentioned, is absolutely huge for a Word file. Thus, you'd be better doing something in a program better suited to brochures. If that's not an option, scale down the quality of the pictures (if possible). This might help to lighten the load for Word.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I agree with Van. Pages nor any other word processor program, even those that can handle layout such as Pages and Word can keep up with a 63 MB document loaded with graphics. One other suggestion is to break the document into smaller segments if possible and edit that way.

Most authors who must edit large documents with graphics use Scrivener which is designed to handle them.
QUOTE Thanks
emilelert

Thanks for your replies. I think I will get Pages if that is what you suggest. The problem is that I have already made the whole brochure on word but i just need like water marks on every single page now :/
But something is wrong. Even when i open another word-document and insert a picture to work with (remove background) it works extremely slow. Just 1 single picture 7,6 mb ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
I think I will get Pages if that is what you suggest. The problem is that I have already made the whole brochure on word but i just need like water marks on every single page now :/
I do not recommend Pages for large documents. Also, there is a matter of compatibility if you exchange documents with other users of Office. As I stated above, the only WP program designed to handle large documents is Scrivener.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilelert View Post
Even when i open another word-document and insert a picture to work with (remove background) it works extremely slow. Just 1 single picture 7,6 mb ?
That's still quite a bit. I just added 10.3 MB of pictures to a blank Word document and saw some minor lag on a machine with 8GB of RAM and an SSD (suggesting that there were few read bottlenecks or memory issues).

Word (and perhaps Pages but I don't use this so I can't speak to it with any certainty) is not really designed to handle that much visual content. It will happily add it but Word's speciality is...well, words.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Word to pdf look wrong | Pages problem »