New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

cleanmymac 2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Banjo2010

Banjo2010 is on a distinguished road

this has just been offered. Is it Kosher? Does it cope with Parallels without harm?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I would stay away from it, and Mackeeper as well. There are better free alternatives that do a much better job like Titanium's Software • Index page but just make sure you download the correct one for your system.

Be wary of those sorts of things, too good to be true.

Just read this thread for a idea of what it can do https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Avoid any of the CleanMyMac, TuneMyMac, "Do anything to"MyMac programs..

They are useless and in a lot of cases ACTUALLY cause harm to your machine..

If you want to do any sort of maintanence on your machine, OnyX is the only tool that we recommend.

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

CPulsar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi

Banjo2010 when I got my iMac I made the mistake downloading cleanmymac 2 and had some real issues, Use Onyx like TattooedMac & Raz0rEdge recommend. I have been using it and it works great!

QUOTE Thanks
srspicer

srspicer is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

Just received an email from these people, 'CleanMyMac2'. It has the forum logo on it and the email states I received this offer because I subscribe to the forum. Temped to use it as my iMac is running slow, it about 4yrs. old, running snowleopard, 10.6.8.

Anyone know about these guys, should I touch it with a 10 foot pole?

Thanks in advance!

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

should I touch it with a 10 foot pole?
No.
That's Windows thinking. Macs don't really need clean-up.
Tell us what your symptoms are so we can help.
Tell us how much free hard drive space you have (& size of drive).
Review this:
Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Merged duplicate threads - now we know why this question today.

The answer is No.

The response from the vast majority of long time users of OS X, you do not "need" and in fact, most of us are going to recommend you do not install this type of software on your Mac.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Banjo2010

Banjo2010 is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for your confirmation, gentlemen. I had similar guidance from the Apple shop about Mackeeper after I tried it. Mackeeper had a bean feast when it found umpteen open files and parallels on the system. It seems the iMac can look after itself.
Banjo 2010
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsahli View Post
That's Windows thinking. Macs don't really need clean-up.
That's a bit misleading. OS X is not impervious to faults and, as with any other piece of software, needs to be well maintained. Indeed, wanting to clean up your system is good "computer thinking".

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
srspicer

srspicer is on a distinguished road

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

As requested gsahli-
System;
Version 10.6.8
Process. 2.66GHZ. intel core 2 duo
Memory-2GB 1967 mhz. DDR3
L2 cache 6MB
1MAc9,1
disk utilized-173.39 GB
free-146.34 free
I think that is everything you asked for, not a 'computer guy' so sorry if I left something basic out.

Symptoms;

-I see the 'wheel of misfortune' when ever I open a program, such as Excel, word, etc. They used to just open.
-It takes 5 to 10 seconds to open new internet tabs
-It takes a good 30sec. to a minute to go to sleep when I select that function.
-Takes much longer than usual to save a simple word document or excel file.
-Takes a good 30 sec. from selecting 'print' until the printer responds. It used to respond right away.

I do empty the cache files at least twice a week and I always re-start the computer after doing so. I also shut it down and re-start it to allow updates to properly install.

The computer itself is on all of the time, accept for above mentioned.

Any help much appreciated!

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

CPulsar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi

Try Onyx as another member had already posted earlier in the thread.

QUOTE Thanks
billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

Is "Clean My Mac" any good? I've had horrendous problems with the spinning beachball. Just wondering if Clean My Mac would help at all.

It's currently a 30% off special at Mac-Forums. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

No, try Onyx!

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Merged another thread.

See answers above.

(At least we have members that know to come ask before they buy instead of after.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

I downloaded Onyx and it actually seemed to slow down my MacBookPro. Running Disk Utility did a better job than Onyx but I STILL get the spinning beachball. I have less than 20% of my 500GB hard drive utilized and I'm running 10.8.5. What can I do? It drives me nuts. TIA.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal 101-1 | iTunes 11.0.5 - how to show iTunes store search results as list »