Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   cleanmymac 2 (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/303914-cleanmymac-2-a.html)

Banjo2010 10-02-2013 09:02 AM

cleanmymac 2

this has just been offered. Is it Kosher? Does it cope with Parallels without harm?

TattooedMac 10-02-2013 09:16 AM

I would stay away from it, and Mackeeper as well. There are better free alternatives that do a much better job like Titanium's Software • Index page but just make sure you download the correct one for your system.

Be wary of those sorts of things, too good to be true.

Just read this thread for a idea of what it can do https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Raz0rEdge 10-02-2013 09:19 AM

Avoid any of the CleanMyMac, TuneMyMac, "Do anything to"MyMac programs..

They are useless and in a lot of cases ACTUALLY cause harm to your machine..

If you want to do any sort of maintanence on your machine, OnyX is the only tool that we recommend.

CPulsar 10-02-2013 09:36 AM

Banjo2010 when I got my iMac I made the mistake downloading cleanmymac 2 and had some real issues, Use Onyx like TattooedMac & Raz0rEdge recommend. I have been using it and it works great!

srspicer 10-02-2013 11:00 AM

CleanMyMac2, legit?

Hey everyone,

Just received an email from these people, 'CleanMyMac2'. It has the forum logo on it and the email states I received this offer because I subscribe to the forum. Temped to use it as my iMac is running slow, it about 4yrs. old, running snowleopard, 10.6.8.

Anyone know about these guys, should I touch it with a 10 foot pole?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

gsahli 10-02-2013 11:19 AM

should I touch it with a 10 foot pole?
No.
That's Windows thinking. Macs don't really need clean-up.
Tell us what your symptoms are so we can help.
Tell us how much free hard drive space you have (& size of drive).
Review this:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...eshooting.html

bobtomay 10-02-2013 11:49 AM

Merged duplicate threads - now we know why this question today.

The answer is No.

The response from the vast majority of long time users of OS X, you do not "need" and in fact, most of us are going to recommend you do not install this type of software on your Mac.

Banjo2010 10-02-2013 12:00 PM

Many thanks for your confirmation, gentlemen. I had similar guidance from the Apple shop about Mackeeper after I tried it. Mackeeper had a bean feast when it found umpteen open files and parallels on the system. It seems the iMac can look after itself.
Banjo 2010

vansmith 10-02-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsahli (Post 1540735)
That's Windows thinking. Macs don't really need clean-up.

That's a bit misleading. OS X is not impervious to faults and, as with any other piece of software, needs to be well maintained. Indeed, wanting to clean up your system is good "computer thinking". ;)

srspicer 10-02-2013 01:29 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

As requested gsahli-
System;
Version 10.6.8
Process. 2.66GHZ. intel core 2 duo
Memory-2GB 1967 mhz. DDR3
L2 cache 6MB
1MAc9,1
disk utilized-173.39 GB
free-146.34 free
I think that is everything you asked for, not a 'computer guy' so sorry if I left something basic out.

Symptoms;

-I see the 'wheel of misfortune' when ever I open a program, such as Excel, word, etc. They used to just open.
-It takes 5 to 10 seconds to open new internet tabs
-It takes a good 30sec. to a minute to go to sleep when I select that function.
-Takes much longer than usual to save a simple word document or excel file.
-Takes a good 30 sec. from selecting 'print' until the printer responds. It used to respond right away.

I do empty the cache files at least twice a week and I always re-start the computer after doing so. I also shut it down and re-start it to allow updates to properly install.

The computer itself is on all of the time, accept for above mentioned.

Any help much appreciated!

Scott

CPulsar 10-02-2013 01:37 PM

Try Onyx as another member had already posted earlier in the thread.

billwill 10-02-2013 05:22 PM

"Clean My Mac"

Is "Clean My Mac" any good? I've had horrendous problems with the spinning beachball. Just wondering if Clean My Mac would help at all.

It's currently a 30% off special at Mac-Forums. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.

Raz0rEdge 10-02-2013 05:40 PM

No, try Onyx!

bobtomay 10-02-2013 05:40 PM

Merged another thread.

See answers above. ;)

(At least we have members that know to come ask before they buy instead of after.)

billwill 10-02-2013 05:50 PM

I downloaded Onyx and it actually seemed to slow down my MacBookPro. Running Disk Utility did a better job than Onyx but I STILL get the spinning beachball. I have less than 20% of my 500GB hard drive utilized and I'm running 10.8.5. What can I do? It drives me nuts. TIA.