New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

cleanmymac 2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

There is your answer billwill inadequate hard drive space. Larger hard drive or start erasing unwanted programs and files.

CleanMyMac 2 offered again today as a 'special' from MacForums alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
There is your answer billwill inadequate hard drive space.
It's less than 20% utilized.

billwill, what kind of specs are we talking about here? What kinds of applications are you running?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Sorry misread. Too early for me without my morning java.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
billwill

billwill is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi/4G iPad, 32GB iPhone 5

I have 424GB of space on my 500GB hard drive. I use FireFox 98% of the time and Safari for 2%. My usual apps are Mail, Word, Calendar and playing videos sent to me by friends and business associates. I read a lot of news websites but then I just open the site, click on the articles I want to read, read them and then exit the site.

Onyx seemed to slow my system down. I can "stop" the spinning beachball by running both sections of Disk Utility but it doesn't last long before the beachball pops up again.

I will greatly appreciate any assistance you may offer me. Do I need to run a specific diagnostic program? Thanks very much.

"Laughter is an instant vacation"
- Milton Berle
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I have 424GB of space on my 500GB hard drive. I use FireFox 98% of the time and Safari for 2%.
If that was the other way around with Safari being used 98% then i would say, quit Safari when the beachballs happen, because at the moment for me, after 24hrs, Safari is leaking Memory to the likes of 6gb and i cant do a thing, but because thats not the case here, im not sure what to suggest

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
blswhite

blswhite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 24-inch, Early 2009, OS X Yosemite 10.10 (14A299l)

Contrary to what others think I find this program to be very good. I have used it regularly and never had any problems with it.

Brian
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blswhite View Post
Contrary to what others think I find this program to be very good. I have used it regularly and never had any problems with it.

Brian
And you would have to be one of the lucky ones, Honestly !!!!

I could go through these forums, other forums, google, Bing, Yahoo and i could keep going, and show you more than there should be on the internet about one product and how bad it is, even been called a Hoax and so on.

At the end of the day, it works for you, great, but there is years of knowledge here, and we have seen it all, and that is why we steer people clear, because we would rather them be safe than sorry, and to be totally honest, there are at least 2/3/4/5 better Apps out there that do a job 100% better than this and that . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
srspicer

srspicer is on a distinguished road

Well, thank you to all of the vets/mods for your help!

So, I'm about to download ONYX, I don't see a 'payment' filed yet, but I have not downloaded it yet. I assume this is NOT free? Any suggestions before I download this onto my iMac? Any little annoying things like, Oh, I forgot to tell you about doing this before you download......?

Again, thanks to everyone, hopefully I'll have good new to report once I download this.

Scott
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Make sure you download the version matching the version of OS X you are running.

In this particular case, you would assume wrong. Onyx is free.

There is a lot of stuff in it.
Until you spend the time to go through and look at all the tabs to see what it can do, recommend using the Automation tab, checking everything in the Cleaning and Maintenance sections. I only use it when I begin noticing a little slow down - not as regular "before anything happens" maintenance like in that other OS - you'll likely need it no more often than once every 2-4 months.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

CPulsar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by srspicer View Post
Any little annoying things like, Oh, I forgot to tell you about doing this before you download......?
No, there are no surprises. I have been using it for several months and run it once a week.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by srspicer View Post
Just received an email from these people, 'CleanMyMac2'. It has the forum logo on it and the email states I received this offer because I subscribe to the forum.
Whaaaaaaat????? How is that even possible? They can't get your email address from here! Was this a direct email, or a notification of a message you received privately here in the forum? I'd love to get an admin's take on this. Are the site owners involved in this somehow?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
CPulsar

CPulsar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi

Maybe he means their forum.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I'd love to get an admin's take on this. Are the site owners involved in this somehow?
We're trying to figure this out ourselves right now.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
srspicer

srspicer is on a distinguished road

OK, thanks very much. I'll take the plunge and report.
QUOTE Thanks
SoftWareRevue
iNET Interactive

SoftWareRevue will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Whaaaaaaat????? How is that even possible? They can't get your email address from here! Was this a direct email, or a notification of a message you received privately here in the forum? I'd love to get an admin's take on this. Are the site owners involved in this somehow?
Any member that has opted to receive the "Mac-Forums Brief" would receive this email.

If you've mistakenly signed up, you can unsubscribe via your usercp > Settings & Options > Email Subscription Center. Of course, you can sign up for it there too.

I Twitter and Twhirl @SoftWareRevue
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Terminal 101-1 | iTunes 11.0.5 - how to show iTunes store search results as list »