free desktop publishing software?
    So I'm new to Macs and, to tell you the truth, rather new to the whole computer thing, because I'm old ; ) My faith community is trying to start a printed newsletter, and we are looking for free (as we are poor) desktop publishing software for Mac, as we only have Macs among us. I've seen Scribus but it says it has a steep learning curve which would be hard for us. The newsletter is just going to be pretty simple, with articles and photos, I don't suppose a newsletter can be that complex anyway. What is the best free (or maybe under $50) software that will not be too hard to learn? We want to make sure to download legally, so we are not looking to pirate anything. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you!

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Here are a couple of sites to look through:
    Newsletter Design Software for Mac
    Mac Publishing Software Review 2013 - TopTenREVIEWS

Looks like Pages, available for $14.99 from the App Store, might be a good fit for you.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    If it's a simple newsletter and you've got $15 to spare, Pages (as Raz0r recommended) is probably a good bet. It's better at this type of thing than any other word processor and it's fairly cheap.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

thank you! I'm headed off for some tips on Pages.

using Pages to create a newsletter
    Hi! I've just been advised elsewhere on this forum, to use Pages to create a print newsletter. I looked at a couple YouTube tutorials and I have a question. (besides, of course, do you think this is good software for a newsletter?) Do I have to type the articles in the actual template, or can I import a file containing the article, the same way I can import a photo? Sorry I'm kinda new to computers, need to ask very simple questions. Thanks!

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    You just copy paste the articles, not import them
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Threads merged (same topic). Thread also moved to better sub-forum (OS X - Apps).

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Highly recommend Pages for newsletters. I haven't seen anything that is both cheaper and better, so Pages is my favourite.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    One slight correction to the above information.... Pages is $19.99 in the Mac App store not $14.99. But still a good purchase at that price if you're looking for a publishing program.

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Yea Pages +1 here too.

As someone else said above if you Highlight all the Text from the other document, by clicking and then dragging the mouse over text, then ⌘C (Command + C) will copy the Highlighted Text then go over to Pages and in the Document ⌘V (Command + V) which will paste it into the window. Then if you drag 1 of your images over, you can then resize the image in Pages by clicking on the corners or sides and moving it to reach the desired size. Then you can drag the image around, and the text will move and edit itself to allow you to drop the image wherever you need.

Thats how simple Pages is
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.3
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdanby View Post
    Hi! I've just been advised elsewhere on this forum, to use Pages to create a print newsletter. I looked at a couple YouTube tutorials and I have a question. (besides, of course, do you think this is good software for a newsletter?) Do I have to type the articles in the actual template, or can I import a file containing the article, the same way I can import a photo? Sorry I'm kinda new to computers, need to ask very simple questions. Thanks!
    Hello - wife does simple newsletters and has migrated from PCs (used Publisher) to an iMac in May - I suggested that she give Pages a try first before an additional purchase - she's using a book My Pages (2013) by Gary Rosenzweig (short w/ numerous illustrations - the screen captures are too small to read easily) - the links given also rate Pages highly and at a reasonable price - good luck in you selection - Dave

Thread Information