New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iphoto & HDD usage

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tape

tape is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac-27":OS10.8:3.4GHz:16G B iPhone5S

Wife has folder of most all our family photos on her MacbookPro. She uses iphoto to keep all photos from her iphone and those I share with photo stream. Wondering if it would take up less HD space if she were to import all the family photos into iPhoto and then remove the folder of family photos from the HD. Would the folder architecture remain?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you're thinking about storing all your photos on an external hard drive, then yes, iPhoto can continue to manage them. However, be sure to follow the correct procedure when moving the iPhoto library folder. See the following Apple KB article: LINK
QUOTE Thanks
devon1287

devon1287 is on a distinguished road

I don't understand and I think my question is similar, so when I first got my Macbook Pro the other day I added a folder from my external drive to the pictures folder on the internal drive of my family pictures, when I opened iphoto inside the pictures directory the system created a iphoto folder. When iPhoto imports my photo's does it save the imported pictures to the newly created iPhoto folder in pictures or does it still pull the pictures from my original pictures I placed in the pictures directory?
QUOTE Thanks
tape

Chscag
The photos on wife's laptop are already on the laptop's hd. They are in own folder filled with jpegs. The main ? Is whether it is space efficient to import them into iPhoto and then remove the original folder that holds them now. All the photos are backed up to multiple, separate hdd
Other ? Has to do with current folder hierarchy. Would current folder setup stay the same ( ie. folders inside other folders )?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

tape:

not enough info - what is being used to view the "family photos"?
am 'assuming" from what you've said, these photos have not been imported into iPhoto?

devon:
If the default settings of iPhoto have not been changed - the pics are copied into the iPhoto library
You can verify this by opening iPhoto - Preferences - Advanced tab and see if there is a check next to 'Copy items to the iPhoto library'
If it is not checked, then it is pulling pics from the original location.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
tape

Bobtomay
Pics on MacBook are used to share on FB and with emails and occasionally to print. Folder pics not imported to iphoto yet are viewed via preview. Photos already in iPhoto viewed there. iPhone pref is to move pic to iphoto
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just importing the pics into iPhoto and then moving them off the drive will not reduce the amount of disk space used.

But it would be a better viewer than Preview and provide some editing tools not available there.

Check this link out on how to import folders you've organized outside iPhoto.

There is also the free Picasa that could be used although not as many tools available.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple-Preview Help | Opera browser 12.15 »