New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Worse Than the NSA

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Hi All . . .
I solely use Safari for my browser. I do nothing immoral, unethical, or illegal on my computer. So I can go to Safari>Preferences and clear my cache and reset Safari...but instantly upon closing and reopening Safari, I always get these tracking cookies loading that instantly track my internet frolicking:

doubleclick.net
scorecardresearch.com
staticflickr.com
yahoo.com
yimg.com

I constantly delete them, but I want to completely block them from even invading my computer in the first place. I have Yahoo set up as my homepage...so I understand how the last 2 constantly get reloaded and I can expect as much. What can I do about the others to permanently block them? How do you guys deal with such privacy invasion?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

When you reset Safari...you may have reset some Safari preference settings as well. I would check Safari Preferences...and make adjustments as necessary.

Regarding the cookies specifically...go to:

Safari>>Preferences>>Privacy (then select the setting you prefer).

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Here's one for Doubleclick: Opt-out completed successfully
There are others but I have lost the links. Try Google.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Thanks, Craig . . . they sure make one work for it. don't they?

Hey Nick...If I set up Safari>>Preferences>>Privacy>> NEVER allow cookies, won't that affect my iTunes somehow? I think I read that somewhere. Thanks for replying.

Brent Wilson
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future

This should help you: https://www.ghostery.com/
Works on Safari too. Blocks all that junk.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Thanks again, Craig. I am going to dl it tonight and give it a whirl. I read through most of the available info on their site. It almost sounds too good to be true...espcially for free. But I am going to do it!

Does anybody have anything to share concerning Ghostery?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
Thanks again, Craig. I am going to dl it tonight and give it a whirl. I read through most of the available info on their site. It almost sounds too good to be true...espcially for free. But I am going to do it!

Does anybody have anything to share concerning Ghostery?
Just be aware that it sometimes has adverse consequences and you may find content blocked. It's not common though, at least not in my experience.

You can also look at using a cookie manager. I use Safari Cookies:
Safari Cookies

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

I have had occasion where things were blocked. Just whitelist the site in Ghostery.

QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Install Do Not Track Me to stop yourself being tracked while online:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43818/donottrackme
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I second MightyGem's suggestion. I had issues with Ghostery blocking things I didn't want blocked too often. DNTM fixed that problem beautifully.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Thank you all. Hopefully some other folks with experience with these difference extensions will share their input with the pros and cons of their favorite. While looking through the links you sent, I saw Disconnect, which seems to get very great reviews...but the filtering API in Safari doesn't work as well as it does in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. One user reported a small percentage of cookies get through from Google, Youtube, Facebook even though he didn't visit them. I guess I have homework to do reviwing all of your suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« authorizing logic 9 on other computers | Microsoft Office activation? »