Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in Vermont
    Specs:
    iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011 OS X 10.11.6 … iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd Gen) with iOS 9.3.5
    Dual side-side Finder windows at login
    (Hoping this is the correct forum ... )

I always use two Finder windows side-by-side. I find it is a lot easier for copying or moving files, as well as monitoring one folder because an app's activity.

I have an BetterSnap Tool, but I don't want it to be the default for all my apps, just Finder.

I looked at various Applescripts to be found on the internet, but I can't say they are exactly what I need.

My iMac display is set to 2560x1440 if that helps.

I figure I can have an Applescript (as an application) open when I login easily enough.

Any ideas about such a script?

Specs:
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    A suggestion, download and install XtraFinder. It has a keyboard shortcut for just that, either vertical or horizontal.
    Set it how you want. Restart and command-u opens 2 Finder windows. Only downside, it will use the entire screen.
    One man’s theology is another man’s belly laugh.
    -Lazarus Long

Specs:
    iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011 OS X 10.11.6 … iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd Gen) with iOS 9.3.5
    Thanks cradom, but no, I don't think that is what I want. I would prefer not adding more apps (Apple or third-party) to the iMac. (I realize that adding a script sounds like adding something else, but it is Mac native, if that makes sense.)
    2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS black convertible, 5 on-the-floor, 300-horsepower 3-valve 4.6-liter V-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklynguy View Post
    Thanks cradom, but no, I don't think that is what I want. I would prefer not adding more apps (Apple or third-party) to the iMac. (I realize that adding a script sounds like adding something else, but it is Mac native, if that makes sense.)
    Try this:
    An AppleScript to create dual Finder windows - Mac OS X Hints

EDIT: If that doesn't work for you, then you may be relegated to 3rd party software. Rather than using a Finder hack, consider a 3rd party app that does side-by-side panes in a window, like an FTP client. Instead of connecting to an FTP server in one pane, just have it show another folder on your Mac.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Specs:
    lifeisabeach: Ok and thank you again. I'll try that script.

BG
    2007 Ford Mustang GT/CS black convertible, 5 on-the-floor, 300-horsepower 3-valve 4.6-liter V-8.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.12
    For myself, I've been using TotalFinder for dual window operations - has worked fine; BUT Mavericks is to be released this fall and will have similar functions - see quote below from HERE - probably what you need? Dave

OS X Mavericks Finder

Other features making an appearance in the latest version of OS X include the Mac OS 9-style Finder Tabs. This positions a plus symbol to the top right of Finder that allows new tabs to be opened or dragged into other positions, with similar behaviour to a web browser. Users can customise views for individual tabs, move files between tabs, and run the Finder with multiple tabs open in full-screen.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    For myself, I've been using TotalFinder for dual window operations - has worked fine; BUT Mavericks is to be released this fall and will have similar functions - see quote below from HERE - probably what you need? Dave
    Perhaps, but I'd have to see that feature first before I can say that it us useful for me. As it stands right now, the release date for Mavericks is fall '13? That is just about here,

Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

BG

Specs:
    This is what I cooked up with Applescript, saved as an application that is in the startup part of my profile.

I would rather use percentages of display size so that this will work no matter the display size. I haven't figured out that process to date.

The (very minor) issue I have is that Window 1's left-side border is not at zero, but a number of pixels to the right of it. My display is set at 2560x1440. the -7 and +7 are to put a space between the two windows in the center of my display.

--Function: Replaces all Finder windows with dual-windows side-by-side
    --
    tell application "Finder"
    activate
    set var_WindowsQuant to (count of (every window where visible is true))
    if var_WindowsQuant is greater than 0 then
    close every Finder window
    end if
    -- LEFTHAND WINDOW
    make new Finder window
    set bounds of window 1 to {0, 44, ((2560 / 2) - 7), 1352}
    -- RIGHTHAND WINDOW
    make new Finder window
    set bounds of window 2 to {((2560 / 2) + 7), 44, 2560, 1352}
    set target of window 2 to startup disk
    end tell

Thread Information