New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iPhoto won't import.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

I'm going to word this query very carefully as in my searches so far the replies to similar queries all assume that the OP is taking about not being able to view images that they have previously imported or think they have imported to iPhoto. So to be clear this query DOES NOT relate to any photos already in iPhoto (which I have been using since 2007 BTW).

I'm trying to import newly taken images to iPhoto. I first used my SD card in a USB reader and subsequently have downloaded all images to a folder on my internal hard drive. I've tried dragging them from finder window to iPhoto and using iPhoto Import menu option but every time the first image appears with the message that "The volume for DSC_xxxxJPG cannot be found. Cancel, Find Photo or OK" Both Cancel and OK have no effect and the message is repeated until I press ESC a few times to terminate the process. I have several hundred (ok 745 to be exact) images to import so I need this to work flawlessly as it has done for the past six years. I've tried importing individually, in batches of ten as well as in total with the same error in every case.

I'm using iPhoto 08 and OSX 10.8. Photos were created by my Nikon D90 and several thousand images from this source have previously imported without a problem.

Any ideas people?

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I suggest putting a different SD card in your camera; shoot a few pictures; then try to import those. If you have no issues, then the SD card you are struggling with may be defective, or the photos themselves corrupted for some reason.

If you have the same trouble with new photos on the new SD card, then there is either a problem with the camera itself; with the SD card reader; or with iPhoto. To troubleshoot this as an iPhoto problem, the simplest thing to do is create a new user on your computer and import the photos on that user account. You can also rebuild the iPhoto library, though I don't know if this will impact photo importing.

To troubleshoot the USB reader, the first thing to do is first try a new cable, then another reader.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I suggest putting a different SD card in your camera; shoot a few pictures; then try to import those. If you have no issues, then the SD card you are struggling with may be defective, or the photos themselves corrupted for some reason.

If you have the same trouble with new photos on the new SD card, then there is either a problem with the camera itself; with the SD card reader; or with iPhoto. To troubleshoot this as an iPhoto problem, the simplest thing to do is create a new user on your computer and import the photos on that user account. You can also rebuild the iPhoto library, though I don't know if this will impact photo importing.

To troubleshoot the USB reader, the first thing to do is first try a new cable, then another reader.
To add more detail...The photos copied over fine using Finder and are readable in Preview, PhotoShop, and all my other programs. This obviously rules out the camera and SD card. During import if I press 'Cancel' when I get the error message the photo does actually get imported.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
To add more detail...The photos copied over fine using Finder and are readable in Preview, PhotoShop, and all my other programs. This obviously rules out the camera and SD card. During import if I press 'Cancel' when I get the error message the photo does actually get imported.
Ah. Interesting. And you definitely copied the photos, not accidentally made aliases?

Possible solution here:
iPhoto Problems - The Volume for JPG Cannot be Found - MacRumors Forums

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Definitely copied. SD card is back in my camera.

I had seen the MacRumors reference which is why I specified that this does not relate to photos already imported. But thanks for the possible heads-up.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Have you tried importing from the camera to rule out the reader?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Definitely copied. SD card is back in my camera.

I had seen the MacRumors reference which is why I specified that this does not relate to photos already imported. But thanks for the possible heads-up.
Did you actually attempt the solution provided there anyway?

EDIT: Simply do the following. Open iPhoto; open the preferences and go to Advanced; uncheck the option to "Copy items to the..."; quit iPhoto; re-open iPhoto; re-attempt importing.

If that fails, try deleting the preference files for iPhoto, found in:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist

and this one:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.LSSharedFileList.plist

Also, you didn't mention if you tried rebuilding your iPhoto library as recommended.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Did you actually attempt the solution provided there anyway?

EDIT: Simply do the following. Open iPhoto; open the preferences and go to Advanced; uncheck the option to "Copy items to the..."; quit iPhoto; re-open iPhoto; re-attempt importing.

If that fails, try deleting the preference files for iPhoto, found in:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist

and this one:
yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.LSSharedFileList.plist

Also, you didn't mention if you tried rebuilding your iPhoto library as recommended.
I'm away from home presently so haven't tried importing using cable. I haven't rebuilt iPhoto library but will definitely try that also on my return. I did however try unchecking the 'Copy to iPhoto' box but that had no effect so have rechecked it.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will report back before the end of the week.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Update:
1) Rebuilding iPhoto had no effect of the probem
2) Using cable directly from camera had no effect
3. Cannot find the plist files. Are they hidden?

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Update:
<snip>
3. Cannot find the plist files. Are they hidden?
The user Library is, but not those files themselves. Very annoying change introduced with Lion. You can easily unhide it using DesktopUtility.

If you still can't find it, download EasyFind and search for the file. Use your home folder as the search location.

If it still can't be found, then we may be on to something here.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

OK. Found and removed the two .plist files (using Desktop Utility). but error still remains.

QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Update...
I created a new iPhoto Library and the photos imported without a problem. Does this suggest anything and is there any way photos can be moved from one iPhoto Library to another?

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Excellent! Good job on creating a new iPhoto Library.

You can bring the photos in the old Library into the new one one of two ways: the tricky but free method, or the easy-but-$30 method.

The tricky-but-free method: You can export from iPhoto and re-import to the new iPhoto library (the free iPhoto to Disc will make this easier if you haven't yet upgraded your iPhoto 09 or '11 to use the unified Aperture/iPhoto common library format).

The easy-but-$30 method: buy and download iPhoto Library Manager. It lets you merge or separate libraries at will, and is quite amazing.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
Update...
I created a new iPhoto Library and the photos imported without a problem. Does this suggest anything and is there any way photos can be moved from one iPhoto Library to another?
I have little to add to what chas recommended, except that you may need to consider upgrading from iPhoto '08 since you are on Mountain Lion. The current version may simply play better with it.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Oh yes, iPhoto '11 *highly* recommended.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Office 2011 Update | Free but some where paid »