New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

imessage wont work properly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeremygl

Jeremygl is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

Im currently travelling and I recently bought a macbook air (its my 2nd mac so i know how mac works).

I have used iMessage with local friends from belgium and it works all as it should: i enter their phone number and the number stays green and im chatting with them.

Now while travelling, i got some foreign numbers from UK and USA and ... When i enter these number with landcode or without, the number just stays red. I could add a number with their apple ID email, but why does it work with local people from belgium and not with the other numbers i get while travelling? This is very frustrating..

Hope someone can help me with this.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

OK. Firstly if a message goes green it's gone as an SMS, blue if it's an iMessage.

Secondly, they have to have the phone number you're using associated with iMessage. This happens automatically on phones because it's the 'built-in' number but on other devices associated with the account you need to ensure the number is listed under the iMessage Send & Receive list.

The easiest way is for them to send you a message first and for you to add that to their contact. That way you can be sure the number is correct

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Jeremygl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
OK. Firstly if a message goes green it's gone as an SMS, blue if it's an iMessage.

Secondly, they have to have the phone number you're using associated with iMessage. This happens automatically on phones because it's the 'built-in' number but on other devices associated with the account you need to ensure the number is listed under the iMessage Send & Receive list.

The easiest way is for them to send you a message first and for you to add that to their contact. That way you can be sure the number is correct

There is no chance getting it sorted out myself? Its actually more a surprise that I want to send her. She would never expect that i would send her a message to her local phone.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

To which devices are you try to send from and to?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Jeremygl

Quote:
To which devices are you try to send from and to?
from my macbook air (newest gen if that would matter) to her iphone 5
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's like sending a letter. You have to know the address.

In this case iMessage needs to be switched on and the number and email address must be requested against it for you to send from a device that doesn't have a phone number.

If you've tried to send an iMessage to her number and it's not working then chances are she doesn't have iMessage configured in that way or at all. i.e. no address you can send to

QUOTE Thanks
Jeremygl

Quote:
It's like sending a letter. You have to know the address.

In this case iMessage needs to be switched on and the number and email address must be requested against it for you to send from a device that doesn't have a phone number.

If you've tried to send an iMessage to her number and it's not working then chances are she doesn't have iMessage configured in that way or at all. i.e. no address you can send to
I dont understand how this is possible because I have send imessages already via only mobile number to several friends of mine from back home. So what is the difference between these peoples connection to iMessage?

And the people that im trying to text have imessage because thats almost the only thing theyre using. So weird...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I'm not sure I can put this any other way.

This is down to how the recipients phone is setup. If iMessage is not switched on or configured correctly you will not be able to send to them.

Whether you can send to others has nothing to do with it, you and they must be configured for iMessage ok. However if this particular recipient isn't setup correctly you will not be able to send to them

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook 2011 appointments not visible | itunes reinstallation not working »