New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

tranferring music from itunes to ipod help please?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mikehende

mikehende is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, a friend of mine brought his daughter's laptop and some cd's for me to load the music onto the ipod, I looked online and found this video:

How to transfer music from iTunes to iPhone iPod iPad - YouTube

From that video it shows that the ipod is supposed to show under "Devices" in itunes but I am not seeing that when I connect the ipod's USB cable to my pc?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And this laptop has which:
operating system?
version of itunes?

And which iPod is it?

You can work through the iPod troubleshooting assistant - link.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Thanks for the help, my pc runs Vista and latest itunes version 11. I tried the troubleshooting guide in your link but the ipod still doesn't show in itunes? This ipod shows Model MD057LL/A Version 6.1.3 which my research shows is ipod Touch 4th Generation?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Is the notebook plugged in or running off battery?

iPod not recognized when connected to Windows laptop over USB

Before I went much further, I'd be trying another cable.

iPod: Appears in Windows but not in iTunes

I have had a couple friends whose iPods would not appear in iTunes in Windows.
After all the troubleshooting we did, they finally visited the local Apple store and a reset of the device by them fixed it.

QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

It's Dell Desktop PC Inspiron 530S. I don't have another cable to test right now. I guess if I can't figure out the problem then I will advise my friend to take it to apple store for a reset, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really niceRadDave is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
It's Dell Desktop PC Inspiron 530S. I don't have another cable to test right now. I guess if I can't figure out the problem then I will advise my friend to take it to apple store for a reset, thanks.
Well, you've already received some excellent links - a standard reset of the iPod can be easily done using the Power & Home buttons simultaneously and causes no loss of files/settings - directions HERE.

Also, I have an iPod Touch 2G and have about 80 hrs of MP3 files on the device - use to load from iTunes on an old Dell laptop w/ VISTA - occasionally I'd lose recognition of the iPod by iTunes, which was usually corrected by restarting the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) in Windows - believe that the links given discuss this issue. Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

^^
Def work through the troubleshooting in the links - because if the issue is in Windows - having Apple reset the device still won't get it recognized.

QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

well if the apple store can't help then I have no idea what do next as I tried all that I could see where trouble shooting is concerned, I even tried this: How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows. Guess I better try Apple support community to see if any Apple Tech can help sort out this problem.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Guess I better try Apple support community to see if any Apple Tech can help sort out this problem.
The Apple Support Community is peer to peer same as ours. The difference is that it's officially sponsored by Apple. Their techs do not provide support on there nor are they allowed to as far as I'm aware. But, give it a try anyway if you choose.....
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

I am getting some help on there:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/22656697#22656697

We've narrowed down that it's something on my pc and itunes that's causing this problem so I uninstalled itunes and waiting now for an answer to a problem to reinstall itunes.
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

I am wondering if this may be a driver issue? I tried following these instructions I found on the net:

How to Put an iPod or iPhone into Recovery Mode: 6 Steps

and as the attached pic shows, my pc is not finding the driver for this but what is strange is when I first connected the ipod it showed that it was installing the device driver or software [can't remember which] but did so successfully and since when connected to the Macbook it connected right away after the installation was done doesn't mkae sense to me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (96.7 KB, 14 views)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Try restarting the Apple mobile device service - link
Make sure you have quit iTunes and unplugged the iPod when working through this.

If restarting the service doesn't work - would then try removing and reinstalling it - how to in that same link.
(The service - not iTunes.)

And, I'd recommend upgrading that thing to Win 7 from Vista.

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

That does very much look like a Vista driver issue.

Have you tried connecting the iPod to another machine?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mikehende

Yes, no issues when connected to my macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

After you've gone step by step through that last link, then I'd probably take it to Apple and let them do a reset of the device.

One item to note, however, you cannot sync the iPod to more than one computer.
If that's what you're wanting to do - be able to sync it to both your Mac and your Windows machine - won't happen - it's just going to delete everything from the sync to the other computer.

Another thing to try is a powered USB hub. My last office PC quit recognizing my 3GS and several other devices at all, while still recognizing my keyboard, mouse and some USB thumb drives. Powered hub solved that particular issue with that machine.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finder replacement | iTunes Media Folder »