New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Why do I need to pay for CCC?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Recently I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner trial version in order to supplement my existing Time Machine Backup with a bootable copy of my HD.
I was surprised to find it is no longer Donationware and with the current exchange rate would cost me almost $50.00 AUS.
So it occurred to me that as I don't really require incremental backups via CCC (TM does this already) why not simply keep the boot partition in case my overworked MacBook crashes, boot up from my old original CCC backup and use TM to do a full restore? That way I don't really need to purchase a full registered version until I can afford it.
What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You can certainly do it that way if you want. Personally I think the guy deserves the support, he's made a great product that I know saved my bacon a time or two.
He does say until he can afford it, so he will get it when he can,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Sprague View Post
That way I don't really need to purchase a full registered version until I can afford it.

But why not go the way of SuperDuper! which does Bootable clones like CCC and its half the price. I bought this a while ago now, and the extra options are well worth the $, but you can wait until you can afford CCC.
Just another option
PS With the AUD they way it is, it will cost $30. I got it when we were @ $1.10

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

The disadvantage of TM is that it is not bootable should your internal hard drive give up the ghost. Like Tattooed I use SD but either way let the guy feed his family and purchase whatever software you go with.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You can certainly do it that way if you want. Personally I think the guy deserves the support, he's made a great product that I know saved my bacon a time or two.
Thanks Chas_M, I wholeheatedly agree with you, Bombich software have been great and thier online support has been prompt and spot on every time. I will purchase a registration as soon as funds allow. In the mean time I am on holidays in Indonesia and just wanted to ensure that I could boot from an external HD should the worst happen.
Cheers,
Rod

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Backing up itunes? | live recorder »