New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Photo processing software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

My MBP came with iPhoto11, and I like it a lot for the basics. I want to do rather more than iPhoto can manage however, and I was going to go straight to Photoshop. Now that that's only available on a very expensive monthly licence I've lost interest in it (and I've never really understood it). I've used Lightroom in the past but hate the way it forcibly manages the pictures, even though its editing capabilities seem quite good. But how good is Aperture, and should I consider it as an alternative? The most advanced operation I want to perform is removing the background from a photo, leaving the main subject in the foreground, and substituting either a blank background or maybe a different image on which to superimpose the subject. Can Aperture do that?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try Pixelmator ($14.99) in the Mac App Store. It's not Photoshop but it can do many of the things that you mentioned. I'm not familiar with Aperture so perhaps someone else can chime in and answer your question about it.
QUOTE Thanks
docx

docx has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: I Mac 27-inch 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 12GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 4GB ram

Have a look at Photoshop Elements.
Its a lot cheaper than Photoshop and should do everything you want.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Can anyone advise on Aperture?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You'll need to reveal to us specifically what it is you want to do (and why you find iPhoto can't meet your needs) in order to get good recommendations.

Aperture is -- essentially -- just like Lightroom, just made by Apple so it does things even more in the Apple way of doing things.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You'll need to reveal to us specifically what it is you want to do (and why you find iPhoto can't meet your needs) in order to get good recommendations.

The following seems to be pretty specific to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
... The most advanced operation I want to perform is removing the background from a photo, leaving the main subject in the foreground, and substituting either a blank background or maybe a different image on which to superimpose the subject. Can Aperture do that?
I have never even considered doing that, so can't advise a direction for you.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No, Aperture and iPhoto and Lightroom can't do that. They are photo managers with some editing features, not photo editors. You need a program like Snapheal or Inpaint for just removing backgrounds and touching up pictures. For more money -- but also more abilities -- Photoshop Elements or Photoshop itself is also a good choice.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Thanks - I'll look at them. Do you know which is better/better regarded?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I personally prefer Snapheal to Inpaint, but you should be able to locate free trials at the developers' sites so you can test and compare.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Thanks. I've downloaded both but haven't had time to try either as yet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« live recorder | Microsoft word unexpectedly quits »