New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Surplus Meter Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Firejack

Firejack is on a distinguished road

As far as monitoring bandwidth usage goes it seems like there are very few options for mac. On my old mac book I used surplus meter, after buying a mac book pro I have been unable to get this application to work. The application opens and I have selected airport as my connection type. I receive my internet via time capsule. But the surplus meter just doesn't meter hence rendering it useless. Could someone suggest anyways as to, which I could fix this problem or any other pieces of software, which would do the same thing, your help would be much appreciated.

thank you in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I just downloaded SurplusMeter and am testing it now with a large download. I can confirm that it definitely should be working (I'm on OS 10.8.4). What version of SurplusMeter do you have? The most recent version is 2.0.3.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
I just downloaded SurplusMeter and am testing it now with a large download. I can confirm that it definitely should be working (I'm on OS 10.8.4). What version of SurplusMeter do you have? The most recent version is 2.0.3.
I am running surplus meter version 2.0.3 on a mac book pro mid 2012 with retina display running mac osx 10.8.4
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
I am running surplus meter version 2.0.3 on a mac book pro mid 2012 with retina display running mac osx 10.8.4
Ok. You said you are connected to a Time Capsule and selected "Airport" as your connection type. I assume you are in fact connected wirelessly and not by an ethernet cable? If so, then delete the preference files to make it "reset". A simple way to do this is use AppCleaner.

If that doesn't work, then I'm increasingly unsure what else to do. Try turning your firewall off and reducing your Gatekeeper settings to allow all, but in my brief experiments, those had no effect.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Ok. You said you are connected to a Time Capsule and selected "Airport" as your connection type. I assume you are in fact connected wirelessly and not by an ethernet cable? If so, then delete the preference files to make it "reset". A simple way to do this is use AppCleaner.

If that doesn't work, then I'm increasingly unsure what else to do. Try turning your firewall off and reducing your Gatekeeper settings to allow all, but in my brief experiments, those had no effect.
I have tried deleting it many times with app trap before, this time I used app cleaner but still I have had no luck. I have tried turning my firewall off but that changed nothing and I have already allowed surplus meter to allow connections, gate keeper changed nothing either.

I am running sophos anti virus and it does come in handy for scanning those usbs where you have no idea whats on them just recently a friend of mine placed their work usb in my computer sophos picked up a windows virus. I deleted it for him and then he told the company he works for and it seems there whole main frame was infected. Anyways back on topic I do not believe that it would be causing a clash but im still not sure what is.

Is it possible some other old application possibly not deleted in full could be causing a clash?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Try removing Sophos AV and then see if Surplus Meter starts to work. Mac AV software is not as sophisticated as Windows versions are in that they sometime interfere with programs and cause slow downs. If Sophos has an uninstaller use it rather than dragging it to the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

I used the uninstaller and still nothing has changed
QUOTE Thanks
Firejack

Ok after going through lots of processes such as, permissions repair, using onyx's cleaning systems, cleaning out junk files, restarting my computer and then opening surplus meter and quitting the agent in activity monitor while it was running. It finally started working... Thanks for the help guys. I'm not really sure what did it in the end but at least it works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Word 2011 - Freezes when pasting text | Facetime audio drops in and out »