New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mac Mail, Gmail, and iPhone Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GinoLicious

GinoLicious is an unknown at this point

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I could not find a more suitable place to post.

So I have a minor issue with my emails. I have this one email account on google apps for business that is imap to an iPhone, iMac, Mac Pro and iPad. I use mac mail on each device and have set up the email account through gmail as it is google who is now technically hosting the email.

Now for some reason when I am using my iMac, sometimes I will get emails into my mac mail inbox, but the majority of the time, they are going into my all mail folder. At one point I had 10 emails read on my iMac and then all of a sudden they disappeared into the all mail folder. I have not touched filtering or forwarding. I then went onto gmail and logged into the email and the emails were not appearing in my inbox, they were appearing in my all mail folder.

The email account is hooked up to an iphone as well which I do not use. Now, if the person using the iphone reads an email, does that automatically move those emails into my all mail folder thus making them not appear on the iMac in mac mail? Now if that is the case, is there a way to turn that off to ensure that it does not happen? Now my second guess is that the iPhone user is deleting the messages off of the iphone thus archiving them into the all mail folder. If that is the case, is there a way to allow that only for the iphone so that the emails on the iMac and in gmail stay in the inbox?

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I think you're exactly right. The archiving process moves mail to 'all mail'. The basic delete function on the iPhones gmail setup is archiving the mail.
If you setup the gmail account manually on the iPhone to use POP rather than IMAP the changes made when items are read/moved won't be notified back up to the server and so won't move the emails on the other devices.
However this does 'break' syncing. i.e. if the iPhone user reads and acts upon an email you will have no way of knowing this on the other devices.

You have options but my instinct would be to re-train the iPhone user in the way you'd like email handled rather than isolation the iPhone from the full syncing capability.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Long Docs in WORD 2011 | Office 2011 update available »